    Unless there is some other way of doing it, that I'm not thinking of.

    TIA
    jdn

    jdn, Jan 14, 2004

  2. jdn

    Hermit Dave Guest

    User a custom validator.
    I had a scenario where i needed to validate the selected value in one
    dropdownlist against a value of another dropdownlist's selectedValue.
    You can then write both custom server side and client side code (for client
    side validation i used RegisterClientSciptBlock) and you specify both server
    and client side validation functions... thats about all you need to do... on
    submit... the values will be validated based on your code... and your
    requirements... popup message or message in span on client side or span
    rendered by server side...
    even adds it to your summary control for godsake... :)

    so its 3... neither 1 nor 2... but a simpler option 3

    --
    Regards,

    HD

    Once a Geek.... Always a Geek
    "jdn" <> wrote in message
    > Would appreciate some help, as I am blanking on the best way to do this.
    >
    > I want to have a Range Validator for a textbox where the Minimum and

    Maximum values are based on what is entered in a different textbox. So, for
    instance, if the value in the other textbox is X, then the range validator
    would check to ensure that the value being validated is between 20-50% of X.

    > What is the easiest way to do this, in such a way that there can be

    client-side validation as well? Options I've though of...

    > 1) Create a new control that derives from BaseValidator
    > 2) Create a new control that derives from RangeValidator itself
    > 3) Skip making a new control and have the Maximum and Minimum values of a

    normal range validator changed in a function every time the text in the
    other textbox changes and/or loses focus.

    > 3) is 'simpler' in some sense, but seems kind of 'hacky', but I've done

    neither 1) nor 2) before.

    Hermit Dave, Jan 15, 2004

  3. jdn

    jdn Guest

    Yeah, I did forget to list that option.

    Do you have a link or sample of the specifics of how to do this? I'm
    working my way through MSDN etc. and am not sure I am seeing the forest for
    the trees, if you know what I mean.

    Thanks.

    jdn

    jdn, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Hi

    Thank you for using MSDN Newsgroup! My name is Jeffrey, and I will be
    assisting you on this issue.

    Based on my understanding, you want to do the validation based on some
    runtime condition(Another textbox's text value).
    I agree that you should custom validator control to get this done.

    ===================================
    Based on my research, I think you can try the following 3 Steps to get this
    done:
    1). Create a Custom Valiation control on the web form.
    2). Write the Server side validation event handler. Sample code like this:
    private void CustomValidator1_ServerValidate(object source,
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ServerValidateEventArgs args)
    {
    double max, min;
    double val=Convert.ToSingle(TextBox2.Text);
    min=val*0.2;
    max=val*0.5;
    double newval=Convert.ToSingle (TextBox1.Text);
    args.IsValid=(newval>=min&&newval<=max);
    }

    3).Register the client validation javascript code, the validation sample
    like this:
    Set the CustomValidator1's ClientValidationFunction to "clientvalidate"

    <script language="javascript">
    function clientvalidate(source, args)
    {
    var val=document.forms[0].item("TextBox2").value;
    var min=val*0.2;
    var max=val*0.5;

    if(args.Value>=min&&args.Value<=max)
    {
    args.IsValid=true;
    }
    else
    {
    args.IsValid=false;

    </script>

    problem.
    of assistance.

    Best regards,
    Jeffrey Tan
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Jan 15, 2004
  5. jdn

    jdn Guest

    Yes, that does work.

    What I would like to do in the long run is to make this a custom control so that I can drag and drop it (since I will have many of these) and not have to write the javascript out each time I put it on a page, etc.

    jdn

    jdn, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Hi jdn,

    Thanks for your feedback. Sorry for letting you wait for so long time.
    I have seen your concern, you want to make all the functions into a custom
    control for other customer to use.

    ===========================
    I have writen a sample project for your concern. I think you should
    generating all the client javascript code dynamicly.

    You can try the following Steps to see if it helps resolve your issue:
    1). Create a Web Control Library project, which inherited from
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator class
    2). Create a new property Controltodependid for the user to input the
    control id whose value you want to retrieve.
    3). Override its OnLoad method and use Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock to
    dynamic generate the Client validation script

    Sample full code like this:
    public class WebCustomControl1 : System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator
    base.Render(output);
    output.Write(Text);

    base.OnLoad (e);

    StringBuilder sb=new StringBuilder();
    sb.Append("<script language=\"javascript\">");
    sb.Append("function ");
    sb.Append(this.ClientValidationFunction.ToString());
    sb.Append("(source, args)");
    sb.Append("{");
    sb.Append("var val=document.forms[0].item(\"");
    sb.Append(this.Controltodependid);
    sb.Append("\").value;");
    sb.Append("var min=val*0.2;");
    sb.Append("var max=val*0.5;");
    sb.Append("if(args.Value>=min&&args.Value<=max)");
    sb.Append("{");
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=true;");
    sb.Append("}else{");
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=false;");
    sb.Append("}}");
    sb.Append("</script>");

    this.Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock("script",sb.ToString());
    }

    string controltodependid;

    public string Controltodependid
    {
    get
    {
    return controltodependid;
    }
    set
    {
    controltodependid=value;

    When using this custom control, you should set its Controltodependid
    property to specify the textbox you want to retrive value. You also should
    set ClientValidationFunction to specify the client validation function name.

    ==============================
    problem.

    concerns, please feel free to post it in the group. I will try my best to
    help you.

    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Jan 17, 2004
  7. jdn

    jdn Guest

    So then to make the range changeable, you would make properties that you could set (so I wouldn't want to hard-code in 'val * .2' etc. since the range would vary....otherwise the control isn't very useful) and then modify the OnLoad accordingly

    jd

    ==========================
    I have writen a sample project for your concern. I think you should
    generating all the client javascript code dynamicly

    You can try the following Steps to see if it helps resolve your issue
    1). Create a Web Control Library project, which inherited from
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator clas
    2). Create a new property Controltodependid for the user to input the
    control id whose value you want to retrieve
    3). Override its OnLoad method and use Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock to
    dynamic generate the Client validation scrip

    Sample full code like this
    public class WebCustomControl1 : System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidato

    protected override void Render(HtmlTextWriter output

    base.Render(output)
    output.Write(Text)

    protected override void OnLoad(EventArgs e

    base.OnLoad (e)

    StringBuilder sb=new StringBuilder()
    sb.Append("<script language=\"javascript\">")
    sb.Append("function ")
    sb.Append(this.ClientValidationFunction.ToString())
    sb.Append("(source, args)")
    sb.Append("{")
    sb.Append("var val=document.forms[0].item(\"")
    sb.Append(this.Controltodependid)
    sb.Append("\").value;")
    sb.Append("var min=val*0.2;")
    sb.Append("var max=val*0.5;")
    sb.Append("if(args.Value>=min&&args.Value<=max)")
    sb.Append("{")
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=true;")
    sb.Append("}else{")
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=false;")
    sb.Append("}}")
    sb.Append("</script>")

    this.Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock("script",sb.ToString())

    string controltodependid

    public string Controltodependi

    ge

    return controltodependid

    se

    =============================
    problem

    concerns, please feel free to post it in the group. I will try my best to
    help you

    Best regards
    Jeffrey Ta
    Microsoft Online Partner Suppor
    Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/securit
    This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights

    jdn, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Hi jdn,

    Yes, you are right. You should expose the range rate as 2 properties, then
    the your control customer can set them properly and use it freely.
    Also, if you want to make your control more like realistic control, I think
    you can add more logic into your control:

    1). In OnLoad method, judge the EnableClientScript property to determine if
    render the client javascript code.
    2). Encapsulate the server side validation logic in your control, then your
    control user need not add any programming logic to use.
    To get this done, I think you should override OnServerValidate method and
    do the server side validation.
    3). Just as you point out, Add lower and upper range rate as properties for
    user in your control.

    Sample code like this:
    public class WebCustomControl1 : System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator
    base.OnLoad (e);

    if(this.EnableClientScript==true)
    {
    StringBuilder sb=new StringBuilder();
    sb.Append("<script language=\"javascript\">");
    sb.Append("function ");
    sb.Append(this.ClientValidationFunction.ToString());
    sb.Append("(source, args)");
    sb.Append("{");
    sb.Append("var val=document.forms[0].item(\"");
    sb.Append(this.Controltodependid);
    sb.Append("\").value;");
    sb.Append("var min=val*0.2;");
    sb.Append("var max=val*0.5;");
    sb.Append("if(args.Value>=min&&args.Value<=max)");
    sb.Append("{");
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=true;");
    sb.Append("}else{");
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=false;");
    sb.Append("}}");
    sb.Append("</script>");

    this.Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock("script",sb.ToString());

    string controltodependid;
    float lower_range;
    float upper_range;

    public float Lower_Range
    {
    get
    {
    return lower_range;
    }
    set
    {
    lower_range=value;

    public float Upper_Range
    {
    get
    {
    return upper_range;
    }
    set
    {
    upper_range=value;

    public string Controltodependid
    {
    get
    {
    return controltodependid;
    }
    set
    {
    controltodependid=value;

    protected override bool OnServerValidate(string value)
    {
    bool result=base.OnServerValidate (value);
    double max, min;
    TextBox tb=(TextBox)this.Page.FindControl(this.Controltodependid);
    double val=Convert.ToSingle(tb.Text);
    min=val*0.2;
    max=val*0.5;
    double newval=Convert.ToSingle (value);
    this.IsValid=(newval>=min&&newval<=max);
    return result&&this.IsValid;

    base.Render(output);
    output.Write(Text);

    If it does not work, please feel free to tell me.
    Have a nice day!!

    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Jan 20, 2004
  9. jdn

    jdn Guest

    Shouldn't min and max then be tied into Upper_Range and Lower_Range, both in OnServerValidate and the client side script in OnLoad? Otherwise, I don't see how they do anything, right

    jd

    ----- \"Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]\" wrote: ----

[...]

    return lower_range

    se

    lower_range=value

    public float Upper_Rang

    ge

    return upper_range

    se

    upper_range=value

    jdn, Jan 20, 2004
  10. Hi

    So sorry for incorrect code. It seems that my source code was overlay by
    its original one. Yes, just as you said, we should tied min and max with
    Lower_Range and Upper_Range, Here is the correct code:

    if(this.EnableClientScript==true)
    {
    StringBuilder sb=new StringBuilder();
    sb.Append("<script language=\"javascript\">");
    sb.Append("function ");
    sb.Append(this.ClientValidationFunction.ToString());
    sb.Append("(source, args)");
    sb.Append("{");
    sb.Append("var val=document.forms[0].item(\"");
    sb.Append(this.Controltodependid);
    sb.Append("\").value;");
    sb.Append("var min=val*");
    sb.Append(this.Lower_Range);
    sb.Append(";");
    sb.Append("var max=val*");
    sb.Append(this.Upper_Range);
    sb.Append(";");
    sb.Append("if(args.Value>=min&&args.Value<=max)");
    sb.Append("{");
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=true;");
    sb.Append("}else{");
    sb.Append("args.IsValid=false;");
    sb.Append("}}");
    sb.Append("</script>");

    this.Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock("script",sb.ToString());
    }

    protected override bool OnServerValidate(string value)
    {
    bool result=base.OnServerValidate (value);
    double max, min;
    TextBox tb=(TextBox)this.Page.FindControl(this.Controltodependid);
    double val=Convert.ToSingle(tb.Text);
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    min=val*this.Lower_Range;
    max=val*this.Upper_Range;
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    double newval=Convert.ToSingle (value);
    this.IsValid=(newval>=min&&newval<=max);
    return result&&this.IsValid;
    }

    I really hope that my effect can help you. Thanks

    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Jan 21, 2004
  11. jdn

    jdn Guest

    Yes, that makes sense to me. Thank you.

    jdn

    jdn, Jan 21, 2004
  12. Hi jdn,

    I am glad it makes sense to you.
    If you have any further concern, please feel free to post in the group. I
    will work with you.

    Jeffrey Tan[MSFT], Jan 21, 2004