Custom Role Provider give "can't load type error"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Alias, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. Alias

    Alias Guest

    Hi -

    I'm trying to implement a custom RoleProvider based on the SqlRoleProvider.
    I keep receiving a an error that it can't load type
    'MyRoleTest.MyRoleProvider' when trying to load my RoleProvider. However
    this only occurs after deployment. On my local machine it works fine. So I
    created the most basic role provider project I could think of. It is below:

    Imports System.Web.Security
    Imports System.Web.Configuration
    Imports System.Configuration.Provider
    Imports System.Collections.Specialized
    Imports System
    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient
    Imports System.Configuration
    Imports System.Diagnostics
    Imports System.Web
    Imports System.Globalization
    Imports System.Text
    Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

    Public Class MyRoleProvider
    Inherits SqlRoleProvider
    Public Overrides Sub Initialize(ByVal name As String, ByVal config As
    System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection)
    MyBase.Initialize(name, config)
    End Sub
    End Class

    Here is how I reference it in the web.config :

    <roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="TheRoleProvider">
    <providers>
    <clear/>
    <add name="TheRoleProvider" type="MyRoleTest.MyRoleProvider"
    connectionStringName="dbConn" applicationName="TestApp"/>
    </providers>
    </roleManager>

    Locally it runs fine, but once deployed on the server it errors out on the
    <add...> line. I'm using the fully qualified type name and the DLL for the
    project containing the provider is in the Bin folder.

    The odd thing is that I did the exact same thing for the MembershipProvider,
    inheriting from SqlMembershipProvider and referencing it the same way in the
    web.config and it works without a hitch. I would apprecieate any ideas. I
    did try adding the MyRoleProvider class to the Web App Project itself in the
    App_Code folder but that gave the same error.

    Alias, Feb 16, 2007

  2. Good morning,

    Assuming class definition should stay withing web app project, move
    MyRoleProvider class file to app_code folder (do not define custom namespace
    name in the class file), remove 'MyRoleTest' from webconfig
    <add name="TheRoleProvider" type="MyRoleProvider"
    connectionStringName="dbConn" applicationName="TestApp"/>
    Otherwise, if provider resides in separate control library, reference
    library and add fully qualified class name:
    <add name="TheRoleProvider" type="FullyQuilifiedClassNameWithNamespace"
    connectionStringName="dbConn" applicationName="TestApp"/>

    hope it helps
    --
    Milosz

    Milosz Skalecki [MCAD], Feb 16, 2007

  3. Alias

    Alias Guest

    Hi Milosz -

    Thanks for responding. Is there anything else I can be looking for? What
    you wrote is exactly what I wrote, that is why I can't figure this out. I'm
    wondering if I'm missing a reference or something. I've tried it both ways
    and I didn't use a namespace when I had it included in my web project. The
    class is scaled down to the bare minimum and it works perfect locally but
    not when it is deployed. Is there something I must override when inheriting
    from SqlRoleProvider? I'm starting to wonder if their is a native .Net DLL
    that isn't being deployed. Thanks!

    Alias, Feb 16, 2007
  4. No no, read my reply again :) I pointed you were using
    "MyRoleTest.MyRoleProvider" instead of just "MyRoleProvider" in web.config. I
    reckon this is the only reason for this exception (the message clearly
    indicates certain type cannot be loaded). All references are there, i they
    weren't, you would get exception like 'cannot load assembly blablalaa'. Move
    the class to app_code directory (make sure it's public), then update
    web.config with

    <add name="TheRoleProvider" type="MyRoleProvider"
    connectionStringName="dbConn" applicationName="TestApp"/>

    Should work.
    --
    Milosz

    Milosz Skalecki [MCAD], Feb 16, 2007
  5. Alias

    Alias Guest

    Hi Milosz -

    I was using MyRoleTest.MyRoleProvider for the type because my class was in a
    seperate project.

    At the bottom of my post I said that I tried adding the class directly to
    the App_Code folder, when I did that I was using only the class name for
    MyRoleProvider for the type. Which is why I can find no reason for this not
    to work.

    It works perfect for my custom MembershipProvider class however the exact
    same thing doesn't work for my custom RoleProvider class when deployed.

    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that.

    Alias, Feb 16, 2007
  6. Howdy,

    Sorry for misunderstanding. Try another resolution -create a control library
    with the custom provider, then reference it in web site project, (don't
    forget about with fully quilified name in web application's web.config file.

    --
    Milosz

    Milosz Skalecki [MCAD], Feb 18, 2007