Custom Role Provider

CK

Does anyone have any experience with this? We have an exisitng sql database
with user and role info. I need to write a custom role provider to use this
data. Does anyone have any examples of this being done? I have googled it
and I see on MSDN an XMLReadOnlyRoleProvider. I need something similiar to
this. When writing a custom role provider, does the developer write the
ADO.NET code in the methods to retrieve the user and role info? My only
experience with Membership and Roles are the prebuilt SqlRoleProvider &
SqlMembershipProvider. These are implemented using almost no code so I can't
really see what's going on behind the scenes. Thanks for any advice, links,
and or code.

Regards,
~CK