Custom Server Control Property

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Joe, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I wrote a simple server control that inherits from the DropDownList
    control. I will be using the control in an aspx page and want to
    access it in a repeater. I have created a public property called
    DefaultValue. For some reason, the property is never set from within
    my aspx page. It just gets ignored. Does anyone know why?

    Here is how it looks in my aspx:

    <frmcontrol:controltypedropdown DefaultValue="5"
    id="Controltypedropdown1" runat="server"/>

    Below is my control code.

    namespace blah.Controls
    {

    /// <summary>
    /// A server control to display the dropdown of Control Types. Will
    be
    /// displayed programatically in a repeater.
    /// </summary>
    public class ControlTypeDropDown :
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList
    {
    private DataTable dt;
    private ListItem[] coll;

    private string defaultValue="0";
    public string DefaultValue
    {
    get{return defaultValue;}
    set{defaultValue=value;}
    }

    public ControlTypeDropDown() : base()
    {
    lock(this)
    {
    if(HttpContext.Current.Application["ControlTypeDropDown"]==null)
    {
    Survey s = new Survey();
    dt = s.GetFormControls();

    coll = new ListItem[dt.Rows.Count+1];
    coll[0] = new ListItem("", "0");
    for(int i=0;i<dt.Rows.Count;i++)
    {
    coll[i+1] = new ListItem(Convert.ToString(dt.Rows["type"]),
    Convert.ToString(dt.Rows["controlTypeId"]));
    }

    HttpContext.Current.Application.Add("ControlTypeDropDown", coll);
    }
    else
    {
    coll = (ListItem[])HttpContext.Current.Application["ControlTypeDropDown"];
    }

    this.Items.AddRange(coll);
    this.Items.FindByValue(DefaultValue).Selected=true;

    Joe, Nov 5, 2003