    John Rebbeck
    DevEdit.NET Support

    www.devedit.com

    John Rebbeck, Sep 16, 2003

  2. John Rebbeck

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    How are you trying to get the value? Would it have any impact on the program
    logic that Load event on the containing Page fires before Load on controls
    it contains?

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    MCP, Designer/Developer

    AspInsiders Member, www.aspinsiders.com
    ASP.NET Forums Moderator, www.asp.net

    "John Rebbeck" <> wrote in message
    > I'm developing the DevEdit.NET server control (an online HTML editor -
    > www.devedit.com) but there's an extremely bizarre bug. The control runs

    fine
    > on a normal page but when it's run on a User Control it won't work. The
    > control renders fine and has no errors but when I try to retrieve the

    value
    > of it when the page is posted back it just returns its original value

    rather
    > than the one that the user entered.
    >
    > If someone can help me fix this problem (you can download the trial

    version

    Teemu Keiski, Sep 16, 2003

  3. "John Rebbeck" <> wrote in message
    > I'm developing the DevEdit.NET server control (an online HTML editor -
    > www.devedit.com) but there's an extremely bizarre bug. The control runs

    fine
    > on a normal page but when it's run on a User Control it won't work. The
    > control renders fine and has no errors but when I try to retrieve the

    value
    > of it when the page is posted back it just returns its original value

    rather
    > than the one that the user entered.
    >
    > If someone can help me fix this problem (you can download the trial

    version
    > from the site) I'm sure I can arrange for a free copy of this control for
    > you.

    I've taken a quick look at the control and may look more deeply later. It
    looks pretty nice, and we might need such a thing, so your offer is
    tempting. My one negative comment so far is that your "unregistered" message
    box displays too often. It gets in the way of testing the control. I would
    think that once per activation, or once per hour would be enough.

    For the moment, I'll say that I recently had trouble with a complex control,
    when I made assumptions about the order in which events fired. I got out of
    this mess by instrumenting the hell out of the code, adding Page.Trace.Write
    statements to every possible overload of a Control method and then having
    the method call its base class version. After simplifying the problem to its
    smallest possible broken version and poring over the event traces, I finally
    tracked down my problem. Maybe the same technique will work for you.

    Note that Page.Trace cannot be referenced in design mode, so you'll want to
    create your own "PageTraceWrite" method which checks for design mode before
    even referencing "Page.Trace", much less calling Page.Trace.Write.
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    John Saunders, Sep 16, 2003
  4. John Rebbeck

    John Rebbeck Guest

    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You can download the trial version
    of the control which has the same problem from www.devedit.com and it comes
    with the source code provided.

    Regards,
    John