custom session management using Oracle in web garden scenario

satisharas

Hello,

I am trying to write a custom session manager in ASP.NET 2.0 using
oracle as the backend. I want to know how the session expires in web
garden and we are using NLB (a session can be served by the multiple
web servers)

Following are few points:

1. How to cleanup session data on Oracle table (on which event need to
cleanup) also how does session expire works in webgarden (is it
possible that all the web server have session active for a particular
client)
2. Can we use Caching to save session data (don't want to hit database
server on every page to load the session data - just a idea)?
3. We are using NLB
4. Custom session management inheriting "SessionStateStoreProviderBase"
class with ASP.NET 2.0/Oracle

I was not able to find any article, which answers these issues. If
anyone can answer these

Thanks in Advance
Sam

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

if you use an out of process session manager then there is no expire event,
you just use a timer. You need to know the session cookie timeout, then
purge sessions older than that.

in the microsft version, they update a timestamp everytime a session is
used. then then schedule a sqlagent job (every few minutes) to delete any
session old enough to expire. you can write simular code.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

satisharas

Bruce,

Thanks for response,

Well we are not using SQL server here.

When the Abandon method is called for a particular session, the data
for that session is deleted from the data store using the RemoveItem
method; otherwise the data will remain in the session data store to
serve future requests for the session. will this make sence in this
scenario

Thanks
Sam