Custom TagLib & Helper JSP files.

Tom Cole

I've written a custom tag library for some advanced UI components
(tabbedpane, toolbar, tree, etc.) that I've been distributing for free as a
..jar file with the associated .tld file. So far, so good.

Now I want to write some more advanced tags (i.e. a DateSelection and
Calculator tag) that will require some helper JSP files (and possibly
images) to render the actual calendar and calculator.

My plan is to have the tag generate a textfield with a hyerplink image to
it's right. When clicked the image would load the helper JSP file in a new
window. The user would do his thing and when done, the JSP would reload the
parent window so the textfield could grab the result from the request and
display it.

My question is how to package this. I would like to keep this thing as a
single self contained .jar file that could be easily placed in the WEB-INF
directory of a user's webapp and VIOLA, it's done.

Can I reference a .JSP (& | images) stored in this jar file or will the user
have to be responsible for placing the JSP(s) (and the hyperlink images)
within their context path? This would add some possible support issues (you
know what I mean) and being a freeware package I'd like to avoid that at all
costs.

You guys have been tremendous help so far. Thanks.