Custom Templated CompositeControl/CompositeControlDesigner

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Andrew Clancy, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    Myself and a colleague are attempting to mimic the custom template
    functionality of the ASP.Net 2 Login control. Essentially, we would like to
    have the ability within our CompositeControl/CompositeControlDesigner to
    have and Action or Verb in the control's smart tag titled 'Convert to
    Template' which actually converts the whole control, including it's child
    controls to templated mode.

    Do this in the Login control, and you'll see the source change to include a
    tag with inner html made up of a layout table, and child textbox/button
    controls (along with labels and validators. You can then edit the html as
    you see fit (eg. convert to div tag layout), but if you remove or rename the
    key child controls you'll get a runtime error where the LoginControl is
    attempting a FindControl.

    Ideally, we would like an example to achieve this, say with a textbox and a
    button - can anyone help?

    We have been searching for a solution that matches this, but a full trawl of
    the net only reveals solutions which are close but not exactly the full
    convert-to-template functionality of the login control. For example
    http://forums.asp.net/thread/1109037.aspx - to me, this solution does not
    match our needs, it is more of a way of enabling templates within your
    control that the developer can add to.

    I've posted this question to these key custom control guys: Nikhil Kothari,
    Andy Smith and Mickey Williams. Does anyone know anyone else I should ask?

    Cheers,
    Andy
    Andrew Clancy, Jul 5, 2006

  2. Andrew Clancy

    Guest

    > I've posted this question to these key custom control guys: Nikhil Kothari,
    > Andy Smith and Mickey Williams. Does anyone know anyone else I should ask?

    How about asking Polita Paulus?
    http://summerschool.code40.ro/blogs/gabriel/archive/2006/06/22/28.aspx

    Regards,
    Andy

    Andrew Clancy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Myself and a colleague are attempting to mimic the custom template
    > functionality of the ASP.Net 2 Login control. Essentially, we would like to
    > have the ability within our CompositeControl/CompositeControlDesigner to
    > have and Action or Verb in the control's smart tag titled 'Convert to
    > Template' which actually converts the whole control, including it's child
    > controls to templated mode.
    >
    > Do this in the Login control, and you'll see the source change to include a
    > tag with inner html made up of a layout table, and child textbox/button
    > controls (along with labels and validators. You can then edit the html as
    > you see fit (eg. convert to div tag layout), but if you remove or rename the
    > key child controls you'll get a runtime error where the LoginControl is
    > attempting a FindControl.
    >
    > Ideally, we would like an example to achieve this, say with a textbox and a
    > button - can anyone help?
    >
    > We have been searching for a solution that matches this, but a full trawl of
    > the net only reveals solutions which are close but not exactly the full
    > convert-to-template functionality of the login control. For example
    > http://forums.asp.net/thread/1109037.aspx - to me, this solution does not
    > match our needs, it is more of a way of enabling templates within your
    > control that the developer can add to.
    >
    > I've posted this question to these key custom control guys: Nikhil Kothari,
    > Andy Smith and Mickey Williams. Does anyone know anyone else I should ask?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Andy
    , Jul 6, 2006