    Anybody knows how to create and use custom token in asp.net?
    Where can I find reference and samples?

    TIA.
    Guest, Apr 13, 2004

    Jan Tielens Guest

    A token? In which context: a security token?

    --
    Greetz,
    Jan

    Jan Tielens, Apr 13, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Yes, a security token.
    It can be used like a windows token except it is constructed by the
    application.
    I would like to use it as a way to do the single signon.

    Any ideas?
    TIA.

    Guest, Apr 13, 2004

    Patrice Guest

    You could try :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/u...l=/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/singlesignon.asp

    Patrice

    Patrice, Apr 13, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Thanks! This is a good article.
    But what I would like to implement is a Single Sign-On solution for the
    public web sites which involve many different public accessible web
    applications.
    This is for a community and we would like to have users register once then
    they can access different Single Sign-On enabled web applications without
    entering id & password every time.

    Any ideas about this?
    Thanks!

    Guest, Apr 13, 2004

    Patrice Guest

    If you want to reuse something you could start by checking if Passport
    authentication fits your needs : see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315734
    If not what exact point is a problem in the article below (are all sites
    under your control ?, in the worst case you could expose single sign on as a
    web service) ?

    If you mean that you want single sign on for web applications that are not
    intended to do so, I'm not sure it's worth to try ("hacking" depending on
    how login information is submitted to these services, having just IE
    remembering the password ?)

    Patrice, Apr 14, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Patrice,

    I think the problem here is how to keep the "token" between different web
    applications so the user can logon once and navigate to another web
    application without propmted for userid & password.
    And these web applications will be designed to use single sign-on if this
    can be done.
    In an intranet scenario, I can rely on IE (Netscape is not concern in this
    scenario) to keep the "token" using windows integrated authentication. But
    in an internet scenario, I am not sure which method I should use or could
    use.
    Is there a way to mimic windows integrated by using form authentication?

    Thanks,

    Guest, Apr 14, 2004

    JH Guest

    You may want to look into sharing session state variables and information
    across applications using SQL serever.

    JH, Apr 14, 2004

    Patrice Guest

    I would keep this in a cookie. Bascially the scenario could be something
    such as :

    - if not authenticated goes to the login form (that is on its own site)
    - it writes a cookie when authenticated
    - it returns a user id or whatever is needed to the calling site

    On another site, when not authenticated it goes to the login form. This form
    sees that the user is already authenticated using the cookie and returns
    directly then to the calling site with the appropriate info.

    Passing from a site to another is done with redirections...

    You may still want to look at Passport to see if they describe how it's
    done...

    Patrice

    Patrice, Apr 15, 2004