custom user interfaces for desktop application

focode

I usually work on swing component , but suppose if i want to develop a
desktop application with custom user interfaces like i want my frame
to be circular with red color , which is usually a square with blue
color (default option) , then how should i proceed. please guide me .

thanks and regards

markspace

focode said:
i have to make a "nero" (popular dvd writing software) like user
interface , custom volume bar , custom frame , custom buttons , custom
menu etc.

Try JavaFX, this seems to be the sort of thing it was designed for.
JavaFX is just Java classes, but there's a scripting language for it
too. You can just use the UI it generates and interface that to your code.

Also, check out Synth:

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/synth.html>

Lew

markspace said:
Try JavaFX, this seems to be the sort of thing it was designed for.
JavaFX is just Java classes, but there's a scripting language for it
too. You can just use the UI it generates and interface that to your code.

For something that looks like potentially maybe a worthy effects platform the
gee-whiz hawksites for JavaFX sure are bland. Despite the intense
anti-marketing campaign around JavaFX it sports a superficial appearance of
great usefulness.

Have you (or you, or you, or - yes, you there in the back) used JavaFX?

Have you seen any citable articles, demos or tutorials on JavaFX that actually
show off its capabilities and don't bore you to tears?

Arne Vajhøj

For something that looks like potentially maybe a worthy effects
platform the gee-whiz hawksites for JavaFX sure are bland. Despite the
intense anti-marketing campaign around JavaFX it sports a superficial
appearance of great usefulness.

Have you (or you, or you, or - yes, you there in the back) used JavaFX?

Have you seen any citable articles, demos or tutorials on JavaFX that
actually show off its capabilities and don't bore you to tears?

JavaFX is indeed rather nice.

I am especially happy about some of the small things like bind.

But non the less the big players in that market is Flash/Flex and
SilverLight.

Arne

Jeff Higgins

But non the less the big players in that market is Flash/Flex and
SilverLight.
I tried to watch the Richard Feynman Messenger Series lectures at
Project Tuva but gave up half way through the first lecture. I don't
know if something was wrong with my machine, or the Silverlight
implementation, or the Project Tuva implementation, or something else,
but itwould have taken 5 hours to watch an one hour lecture at that rate.

Arne Vajhøj

I tried to watch the Richard Feynman Messenger Series lectures at
Project Tuva but gave up half way through the first lecture. I don't
know if something was wrong with my machine, or the Silverlight
implementation, or the Project Tuva implementation, or something else,
but itwould have taken 5 hours to watch an one hour lecture at that rate.

MS SL or Linux with Moonlight?

SL video in general should be fine with hardware acceleration,
DRM etc..

Well many people may not consider DRM fine for non-technical reasons,
but technically it is working.

Arne

Jeff Higgins

MS SL or Linux with Moonlight?

SL video in general should be fine with hardware acceleration,
DRM etc..

Well many people may not consider DRM fine for non-technical reasons,
but technically it is working.

Arne
Well, turns out my low end XP box is the culprit. I can watch it just
fine on a new Windows 7 laptop with lots of memory.

Andrew Thompson

focode said:
but suppose if i want to develop a
desktop application with custom user interfaces like i want my frame
to be circular with red color..

Then you should either have your eyesight checked, or your 'license to
develop GUIs' revoked - or both. I say this for the the sake of your
unfortunate users. All 'both' of them.

..Have you (or you, or you, or - yes, you there in the back) used JavaFX?

Yeah. Or at least, I tried some of the demos. around 12 months ago.
After crashing my browser(s) twice, I gave up on it.