custom user interfaces for desktop application

Discussion in 'Java' started by focode, May 31, 2010.

  1. focode

    focode Guest

    I usually work on swing component , but suppose if i want to develop a
    desktop application with custom user interfaces like i want my frame
    to be circular with red color , which is usually a square with blue
    color (default option) , then how should i proceed. please guide me .

    thanks and regards
     
    focode, May 31, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. focode

    markspace Guest

    focode wrote:
    > I usually work on swing component , but suppose if i want to develop a
    > desktop application with custom user interfaces like i want my frame
    > to be circular with red color , which is usually a square with blue
    > color (default option) , then how should i proceed. please guide me .
    >
    > thanks and regards



    <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/misc/trans_shaped_windows.html>
     
    markspace, May 31, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. focode

    focode Guest

    On May 31, 11:10 am, markspace <> wrote:
    > focode wrote:
    > > I usually work on swing component , but suppose if i want to develop a
    > > desktop application with custom user interfaces like i want my frame
    > > to be circular with red color , which is usually a square with blue
    > > color (default option) , then how should i proceed.  please guide me ..

    >
    > > thanks and regards

    >
    > <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/misc/trans_shaped_win...>


    i have to make a "nero" (popular dvd writing software) like user
    interface , custom volume bar , custom frame , custom buttons , custom
    menu etc.
     
    focode, May 31, 2010
    #3
  4. focode

    markspace Guest

    focode wrote:
    > On May 31, 11:10 am, markspace <> wrote:
    >> focode wrote:
    >>> I usually work on swing component , but suppose if i want to develop a
    >>> desktop application with custom user interfaces like i want my frame
    >>> to be circular with red color , which is usually a square with blue
    >>> color (default option) , then how should i proceed. please guide me ..
    >>> thanks and regards

    >> <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/misc/trans_shaped_win...>

    >
    > i have to make a "nero" (popular dvd writing software) like user
    > interface , custom volume bar , custom frame , custom buttons , custom
    > menu etc.



    Try JavaFX, this seems to be the sort of thing it was designed for.
    JavaFX is just Java classes, but there's a scripting language for it
    too. You can just use the UI it generates and interface that to your code.

    Also, check out Synth:

    <http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/synth.html>
     
    markspace, May 31, 2010
    #4
  5. focode

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > Try JavaFX, this seems to be the sort of thing it was designed for.
    > JavaFX is just Java classes, but there's a scripting language for it
    > too. You can just use the UI it generates and interface that to your code.


    For something that looks like potentially maybe a worthy effects platform the
    gee-whiz hawksites for JavaFX sure are bland. Despite the intense
    anti-marketing campaign around JavaFX it sports a superficial appearance of
    great usefulness.

    Have you (or you, or you, or - yes, you there in the back) used JavaFX?

    Have you seen any citable articles, demos or tutorials on JavaFX that actually
    show off its capabilities and don't bore you to tears?

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, May 31, 2010
    #5
  6. On 31-05-2010 10:56, Lew wrote:
    > markspace wrote:
    >> Try JavaFX, this seems to be the sort of thing it was designed for.
    >> JavaFX is just Java classes, but there's a scripting language for it
    >> too. You can just use the UI it generates and interface that to your
    >> code.

    >
    > For something that looks like potentially maybe a worthy effects
    > platform the gee-whiz hawksites for JavaFX sure are bland. Despite the
    > intense anti-marketing campaign around JavaFX it sports a superficial
    > appearance of great usefulness.
    >
    > Have you (or you, or you, or - yes, you there in the back) used JavaFX?
    >
    > Have you seen any citable articles, demos or tutorials on JavaFX that
    > actually show off its capabilities and don't bore you to tears?


    JavaFX is indeed rather nice.

    I am especially happy about some of the small things like bind.

    But non the less the big players in that market is Flash/Flex and
    SilverLight.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, May 31, 2010
    #6
  7. focode

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 5/31/2010 11:46 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >
    > But non the less the big players in that market is Flash/Flex and
    > SilverLight.
    >

    I tried to watch the Richard Feynman Messenger Series lectures at
    Project Tuva but gave up half way through the first lecture. I don't
    know if something was wrong with my machine, or the Silverlight
    implementation, or the Project Tuva implementation, or something else,
    but itwould have taken 5 hours to watch an one hour lecture at that rate.
     
    Jeff Higgins, May 31, 2010
    #7
  8. On 31-05-2010 12:23, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    > On 5/31/2010 11:46 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> But non the less the big players in that market is Flash/Flex and
    >> SilverLight.
    >>

    > I tried to watch the Richard Feynman Messenger Series lectures at
    > Project Tuva but gave up half way through the first lecture. I don't
    > know if something was wrong with my machine, or the Silverlight
    > implementation, or the Project Tuva implementation, or something else,
    > but itwould have taken 5 hours to watch an one hour lecture at that rate.


    MS SL or Linux with Moonlight?

    SL video in general should be fine with hardware acceleration,
    DRM etc..

    Well many people may not consider DRM fine for non-technical reasons,
    but technically it is working.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, May 31, 2010
    #8
  9. focode

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 5/31/2010 12:34 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > On 31-05-2010 12:23, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> On 5/31/2010 11:46 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> But non the less the big players in that market is Flash/Flex and
    >>> SilverLight.
    >>>

    >> I tried to watch the Richard Feynman Messenger Series lectures at
    >> Project Tuva but gave up half way through the first lecture. I don't
    >> know if something was wrong with my machine, or the Silverlight
    >> implementation, or the Project Tuva implementation, or something else,
    >> but itwould have taken 5 hours to watch an one hour lecture at that rate.

    >
    > MS SL or Linux with Moonlight?
    >
    > SL video in general should be fine with hardware acceleration,
    > DRM etc..
    >
    > Well many people may not consider DRM fine for non-technical reasons,
    > but technically it is working.
    >
    > Arne

    Well, turns out my low end XP box is the culprit. I can watch it just
    fine on a new Windows 7 laptop with lots of memory.
     
    Jeff Higgins, May 31, 2010
    #9
  10. focode wrote:
    > but suppose if i want to develop a

    desktop application with custom user interfaces like i want my frame
    to be circular with red color..

    Then you should either have your eyesight checked, or your 'license to
    develop GUIs' revoked - or both. I say this for the the sake of your
    unfortunate users. All 'both' of them.

    On Jun 1, 12:56 am, Lew <> wrote:
    > ..Have you (or you, or you, or - yes, you there in the back) used JavaFX?


    Yeah. Or at least, I tried some of the demos. around 12 months ago.
    After crashing my browser(s) twice, I gave up on it.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org
     
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 1, 2010
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. TC
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    670
    JohnnyAppleseed
    Feb 7, 2005
  2. Guest
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    143
    Guest
    Oct 19, 2005
  3. ebbflow
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    161
    Phillip Windell
    Dec 15, 2006
  4. Robin Saini
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    271
    Arne Vajhøj
    Jul 5, 2013
  5. iMath
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,975
    iMath
    Nov 10, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page