Custom Validation Summary Problem

kpg

I can't get the CustomValidator (CV) ErrorMessage to display
in the ValidationSummary.

On the same page I have several RequiredField Validators
and a Range Validator, that all work just fine, that is,
the ErrorMessage text is displayed by the Validation summary
control.

If I leave the CV Text field blank then the errormmessage
does display on the CV itself.

According to the MSDN help, the Validation summary control
should display the messages of all validator controls
on the page.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

kpg

bruce barker

the validation summary only updates its display when a submit is attempted.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

kpg

the validation summary only updates its display when a submit is
attempted.

I have a submit button with validation set to true, when
clicked, the other vaidation control's error messages are
displayed in the validation control. Everything is set up
properly, but the custom validator's errormessage does not
display in the validation summary message box.

kpg

Andy

There are several things you need to ensure to have a customValidator
work.

1) The customValidator has to appear in the same container as the field
being validated

2) Even if you aren't using client-side validation, you still have to
specify an empty error checking function in the JScript of the HTML
page on which the validator resides. And, this "dummy" function has to
return true for its args (make sure you specify the name of this
function in the property list for the validator)

function customvalidator(source,args){
args.IsValid=true;
}

3) In the server-side custom validation code, you have to set three
properties on your validator if the check failed for the message to
appear in the summary control, and your server-side custom validation
code has to return false for edit failures:

private function yourCustomCheckingRoutine()
System.Boolean blnResult=true;

if(yourTest)
{
blnResult=false;
cvYourValidator.ErrorMessage="Your error message";
cvYourValidator.Text="*";
cvYourValidator.IsValid=false;
}

return(blnResult);

kpg

2) Even if you aren't using client-side validation, you still have to
specify an empty error checking function in the JScript of the HTML
page on which the validator resides. And, this "dummy" function has to
return true for its args (make sure you specify the name of this
function in the property list for the validator)

This was it. Once I added the dummy function it worked.

This must be a bug, the documentation says the client side script
is optional.

Thanks
kpg