custom web control with sort, filter and page

HD

Hi,
Having issues with DataGrid and got to designing my own web control. Would
be glad if someone can help me with some of the issues.
* for custom column names which are clickable to execute sort even i need
something similar to DataGrids Columns collection which can be populated
with multiple columns each having its own header and itemstyle. One way
would be to just inherit from datagrid and to override whatever i want to
change.
Would be glad if someone can tell me whether columns is actually a normal
collection which can be implemented by say ArrayList. And get away by using
my own custom defined templates.

* if i program the control to capture the event instead of it calling the
associated page how can i call a method declared in Parent (Page) so that
other relevent things can be executed post whatever my control needed to do
? right now it refuses to hand the control after a postback and only the
code on the control gets executed. having to throw fragments of code
everywhere to get it to work.

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

HD

Susan

I quit using Datagrids. I went nuts trying to figure out
how to get them to sort if I used custom templates.

Instead I use repeaters with a html table wrapped around
it. I create link buttons at the top row of each column
and make them sort the dataview. The beauty of this for
gridlike display is that it creates lot leaner control
which is an issue for our wireless apps.
Susan, Lakeland Police Dept.

Hermit Dave

Thanks for the reply susan, (i am using a similar technique)
I am currently trying to sort out other issues but will get to building all
in one control in a few days time. Will keep everyone posted on that,

Regards,

Hermit Dave