custom web control with sort, filter and page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by HD, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. HD

    HD Guest

    Hi,
    Having issues with DataGrid and got to designing my own web control. Would
    be glad if someone can help me with some of the issues.
    * for custom column names which are clickable to execute sort even i need
    something similar to DataGrids Columns collection which can be populated
    with multiple columns each having its own header and itemstyle. One way
    would be to just inherit from datagrid and to override whatever i want to
    change.
    Would be glad if someone can tell me whether columns is actually a normal
    collection which can be implemented by say ArrayList. And get away by using
    my own custom defined templates.

    * if i program the control to capture the event instead of it calling the
    associated page how can i call a method declared in Parent (Page) so that
    other relevent things can be executed post whatever my control needed to do
    ? right now it refuses to hand the control after a postback and only the
    code on the control gets executed. having to throw fragments of code
    everywhere to get it to work.

    Thanks a lot,

    Regards,

    HD

    HD, Oct 29, 2003

  2. HD

    Susan Guest

    I quit using Datagrids. I went nuts trying to figure out
    how to get them to sort if I used custom templates.

    Instead I use repeaters with a html table wrapped around
    it. I create link buttons at the top row of each column
    and make them sort the dataview. The beauty of this for
    gridlike display is that it creates lot leaner control
    which is an issue for our wireless apps.
    Susan, Lakeland Police Dept.

    Susan, Nov 13, 2003

  3. HD

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Thanks for the reply susan, (i am using a similar technique)
    I am currently trying to sort out other issues but will get to building all
    in one control in a few days time. Will keep everyone posted on that,

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave

    Hermit Dave, Nov 21, 2003