custom web controls and conversion to inline code

Lefty

Our client wanted delivery of the code using inline scripting, but for
obvious reasons, we developed the ASP.NET 1.1 app using codebehind. We have
an issue now when trying to convert the codebehind code to an inline format.

The control fires a custom event (to pass detailed error info up the
containing page, should they choose to implement a listener for the event).
Using C# the custom control is doing something like this:

==============
public delegate void UserControlEventHandler(object sender,
ThinData.Common.UserControlEventArgs e);

public event UserControlEventHandler UserControlError;
==============

the parent page consuming the control was doing this:

==============
PersInfo1.UserControlError += new
ClientName.RegistrationUserControls.PersonalInformationForm.UserControlEventHandler(Generic_UserControlError);
==============

The above works fine using codebehind.

My problem is that within the containing page, when it is converted to
inline script, the namespace and name:
ClientName.RegistrationUserControls.PersonalInformationForm...

cannot be resolved properly. The error is "missing assembly reference?"

How should I be doing this so I can wire up the event in the parent page
properly?

Thanks.

Lefty

thanks for the reply.

I tried your suggestion earlier to no avail. I have since found out that
when converting codebehind pages to inline (the namespace and the class
definition are removed when moving the code to a script block within the aspx
page) and that is why I could not use the namespace naming convention.

I learned that if I used the default namespace notation provided by ASP.NET
for inline pages:

ASP.ControlName_ascx.EventHandler

That the code would then work as intended.

I don't much like having to change this code however, in order to convert
the pages to inline script.

Is there a way to retain the use of namespaces when code is converted to
inline from codebehind?

Brock Allen

Is there a way to retain the use of namespaces when code is converted
to inline from codebehind?

The primary problem is that VS.NET does things its way and ASP.NET does them
another. This is less the case in VS.NET 2005, since the group at Microsoft
is now one (or whole, if you want to think of it that way).