    be able to have my properties in my custom web user controls show up in the
    web forms designer. Is that possible?

    Paul

    PJ6, Aug 15, 2005

  2. PJ6

    Karl Seguin Guest

    I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but user controls do not have
    this type of design time support. In 1.x, this is functionality limited to
    custom server controls. Thankfully 2.0 will solve this.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    come!)

    Karl Seguin, Aug 15, 2005

  3. Yes, there are a few attributes you can set on the properties to get them to
    show up in the desired place in the properties window.
    I've described the details here:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/InheritAndExtend.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Aug 15, 2005
  4. PJ6

    PJ6 Guest

    Thank you. If I follow your article right it looks like custom web controls
    must be compiled separately from the main project and added to the toolbox
    from a DLL for the properties to show up properly at design time.

    Also - maybe this is a dumb question - is there any way to add a click event
    to a control that doesn't come with one, such as your image rollover
    control?

    Thanks for your help,
    Paul

    PJ6, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Yes, custom controls must be compiled into a separate DLL, thereby
    increasing their reusability.

    I suggest you use the ImageButtonRollover control if you would like a click
    event.
    For other controls you may have to add your own via client side script.

    Here's more info:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ClientSideSuite.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Aug 15, 2005
  6. PJ6

    PJ6 Guest

    Steve, you rock. Those controls are going to save me time both learning and
    developing.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    PJ6, Aug 15, 2005
  7. I'm glad I was able to help.
    Here's more info you may find useful:
    http://SteveOrr.net/faq/UserCustom.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Aug 15, 2005
  8. PJ6

    PJ6 Guest

    Question about your ConfirmButton control -

    When the user refreshes the web page after the control has been used, a
    message pops up, "the page cannot de refershed without resending...", and
    then no matter what you select (retry or cancel), the ConfirmButton1_Click
    event fires again. In most cases I would think this behavior wouldn't be
    acceptable for production use. Is there a way to fix it so that doesn't
    happen?

    Paul

    PJ6, Aug 15, 2005
  9. You are in the same position with any kind of button control
    The real issue is that a post is done when the user clicks a button, and to
    refresh that page the post must happen again.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Aug 15, 2005
  10. PJ6

    PJ6 Guest

    Hmmm. So is it possible to differentiate if the event is firing from a
    refresh and not a click?

    I noticed that with multiple controls, only the last user event is fired
    again on refresh. I tried to "fool" the page by manually raising the event
    of another, dummy control, but that didn't work. Is there a way to, after a
    control event fires, redirect where the post will happen on a page refresh
    without any special user action?

    Thanks for all your help,
    Paul

    PJ6, Aug 16, 2005