Custom widgets

Discussion in 'Python' started by Whiplash, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. Whiplash

    Whiplash Guest

    I want to build some basic kid games for Linux (Ubuntu/EdUbuntu) and
    so after looking around I've decided that Python would probably be the
    path of least resistance.

    I have a need to create custom gui elements (widgets?). I want these
    games to be very graphical. Not 3d or anything crazy, I just want them
    to look fun and so the buttons and things will all need to be custom.
    For instance, I might have spaceship or alien shaped buttons and the
    background of my window might be a photo of a galaxy. Make sense?

    So I've started looking at Tkinter, and PyGTK but I don't want to get
    too deep without knowing if they'll work for me. Do either of these
    toolkits provide the ability to create custom widgets? Is there
    something else I should be looking at instead? I'm not concerned with
    cross platform compatibility, I just want to use something that will
    be readily available in your average Ubuntu install.

    Thanks!

    Dana

    Whiplash, Feb 4, 2008

  2. Whiplash wrote:

    > I want to build some basic kid games for Linux (Ubuntu/EdUbuntu) and
    > so after looking around I've decided that Python would probably be the
    > path of least resistance.
    >
    > I have a need to create custom gui elements (widgets?). I want these
    > games to be very graphical. Not 3d or anything crazy, I just want them
    > to look fun and so the buttons and things will all need to be custom.
    > For instance, I might have spaceship or alien shaped buttons and the
    > background of my window might be a photo of a galaxy. Make sense?
    >
    > So I've started looking at Tkinter, and PyGTK but I don't want to get
    > too deep without knowing if they'll work for me. Do either of these
    > toolkits provide the ability to create custom widgets? Is there
    > something else I should be looking at instead? I'm not concerned with
    > cross platform compatibility, I just want to use something that will
    > be readily available in your average Ubuntu install.

    Maybe using pygame is the better alternative. You don't have widgets there,
    but an event-system + all rendering capabilities you can thing of.
    Applications like FrozenBubble (which is written in Perl, but also based on
    the SDL as pygame is) show off the power of this approach.

    AFAIK there are even simple GUI-toolkits on top of pygame available.

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 4, 2008