customerror entry in the Web.Config is not working -- Please Help Me!!

Mossman

Hello,

I am not sure what to look at next on this issue so any information
and/or links to web sites would be greatly appreciated.

I have developed an ASP.NET application using VB.NET. I tested and
debugged it successfully on my PC using IIS. Once I was ready to
deploy the application, I created a staging virtual directory on my D:
drive and used the Copy Project menu selection (Project - Copy Project)
to copy only files needed to run this application and selected File
Share option. I had to do this because I only have read-only access to
the server I am deploying the application to.

Once the copy project routine is finished, I had the server
administrator in our group basically drag and drop my code to the web
server.

Immediately, I received the friendly runtime error message. So, I went
ahead and had the server administrator update the web.config file in my
application to customerrors = "Off". Authentication mode is set to
Windows.

I still received the friendly runtime error message. I updated the
web.config to place <identity impersonate="true"/> in the file. Saved
this and had the server admin redeploy it. I had the server admin set
the allowOverride property to "True" and the customerrors="Off" in the
machine.config. Again the friendly runtime error message.

I am not sure what to look into next as I never had this issue with
deploying another .NET application to a Windows 2000 server. Used the
drag and drop method there and had no issues.

The server configuration is a follows:
--Web farm. Two web servers clustered together. File replication
between both servers are implemented.
--OS is Windows 2003 Server.
--Using ClearTrust to autenticate into the web server.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Troy.

S. Justin Gengo

Troy,

By the friendly runtime error do you mean you're getting that from your web
browser? This may not be something you can set in the web.config file... It
may be that you need to turn off friendly error messages in IE.

To do so in IE 6 go to Tools - Internet Options in the window that opens
click on the "Advanced" tab.

In the list of checkboxes uncheck "Show friendly HTTP error messages.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Mossman

No I mean the ASP.NET Standard Runtime Error Message that states an
application error occurred on the server that instructs you to change
the customerrors tag in the web.config from "On" to "Off" if you want
to see details of this error message. I immediately get this message
accessing a test ASP.NET page I created that just does a Response.Write
of "Hello!!!". So, I believe it is a configuration issue on the web
servers. I just don't know what I should focus on first. My "Show
friendly HTTP error messages" check box is unchecked. So, that isn't
the problem.

Mossman

This page along with my application web pages work on my PC through IIS
but produces a runtime error on the remote development server.

Damien

Mossman said:
This page along with my application web pages work on my PC through IIS
but produces a runtime error on the remote development server.

Hi Mossman,

It sounds like your web.config isn't being read/read at the right time.
This can often happen if your app is being placed into a virtual
directory, but where the virtual directory isn't being set as an
application as well (so the ASP.NET host process is trying to retrieve
settings from the directory above yours). Can your web admin confirm
that your virtual directory is set up as an application?

Damien

Juan T. Llibre

re:
customerrors = "Off"

Try the proper casing and syntax:

<customErrors mode="Off" />

re:
I received the friendly runtime error message.

Which error is that ? Is it a generic 500 error ?

2. What happens if you turn it on with an error page redirect ?
<customErrors mode="On" defaultRedirect="Error.aspx"/>

Does the redirection occur ?:

3. Do other ASP.NET pages run on the server ?
If not, make sure that ASP.NET has been enabled on the server.

Open the IIS Manager, scroll down to "Web Service Extensions",
select the ASP.NET version you want to enable, and hit the "Allow" button.