customErrors 404

NRao

Hi Everybody,

I have a problem tracking 404 error. When I configure
customErros tag it is only capturing .ASPX pages. For all
other file types it is returning IIS 404 page. Is there
any way I can capture all 404 errors with <error> tag in
web config. I mean .asp, .htm, etc..

Thanks

NRao

Bassel Tabbara [MSFT]

Hello,

Yes you can. What you have to do is to associate these files extensions to
the aspnet_isapi.dll in IIS.
To accomplish this follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Internet Services Manager.

2. Expand the node that corresponds to the local host (computer name),
and then expand the Default Web Site node.

3. Right-click your Web application directory, and then click
Properties.

4. On the Directory tab, under Application Settings, click
Configuration.

5. Click the App Mappings tab.

6. On the App Mappings tab, under Application Mappings, check whether the
.aspx extension is mapped to the following
dynamic-link library (DLL):

C:\<Windows
Directory>\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v1.0.3705\aspnet_isapi.dllNOTE: You
must replace <Windows Directory> in
this path with the correct directory for your system.

In fact requests for ASP.NET file types or other file types such as .config
files are handled by an ASP.NET ISAPI
extension (aspnet_isapi.dll), which runs in the IIS (inetinfo.exe) process
address space. This uses a named pipe
to communicate with the ASP.NET worker process. The ASP.NET ISAPI library
(Aspnet_isapi.dll) runs inside the
IIS process address space (Inetinfo.exe). It dispatches requests to the
HttpRuntime object within the ASP.NET
worker process (Aspnet_wp.exe).

Please let me know if this answers you question.

Thanks,
Bassel Tabbara
Microsoft, ASP.NET