customErrors="Off" not working

Mary Kerrigan

I have an IIS virtual directory on a Windows 2000 server that is
configured as an application. When viewing the site remotely, if
there is an error we get a screen telling us to turn customErrors OFF.
We have done this, yet we still get this message. The only way we
have of finding out what the "real" error is is to sit at that box.
Why isn't this working??? The site is not a "site", it is a virtual
directory, and it is an application.

Any ideas? I have found many posts here regarding this but none of
the answers have helped me. Thanks.