Customise Java plug-in download from local server instead of from the internet?

Discussion in 'Java' started by hood, Dec 30, 2003.

  1. hood

    hood Guest

    Hi there guys,

    I believe this piece of code is to check the browser's plug-in version
    and download the later version if it is not so.
    But is there any way to customise the link not to get the JVM from the
    internet? Since the browser machine may not have a broadband to wait
    for the whole JVM to download.

    <object classid="clsid:CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA"
    width="1" height="1" id="APIAdaptor"
    codebase="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/autodl/jinstall-1_4_1-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,4,1,0">
    </object>

    Thanks very much in advance!!

    From Hood

    hood, Dec 30, 2003

  2. "hood" <> wrote in message
    > I believe this piece of code is to check the browser's plug-in version
    > and download the later version if it is not so.

    Your understanding is correct, that is its intent.

    > But is there any way to customise the link not to get the JVM from the
    > internet? Since the browser machine may not have a broadband to wait
    > for the whole JVM to download.
    >
    > <object classid="clsid:CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA"
    > width="1" height="1" id="APIAdaptor"

    codebase="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/autodl/jinstall-1_4_1-windows-
    i586.cab#Version=1,4,1,0">
    > </object>

    Code like this is often produced by a Sun tool
    called the htmlconverter. Because I was unsatisfied
    with some aspects of how it worked, I developed
    my own solution that might suit your purposes better.

    I have developed a very simple applet that checks
    for a particular Java 'major' version, e.g. 1.1, 1.3 or
    1.4 and redirects to another page if that version
    of Java is not installed.

    If your code simply requires '1.4' to run, this should
    solve the problem, you could specify 1.4 to the
    version applet and redirect to a page of your own
    choosing if it is not.

    You can check it out here.
    http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/

    HTH