Customise Java plug-in download from local server instead of from the internet?

hood

Hi there guys,

I believe this piece of code is to check the browser's plug-in version
and download the later version if it is not so.
But is there any way to customise the link not to get the JVM from the
internet? Since the browser machine may not have a broadband to wait
for the whole JVM to download.

<object classid="clsid:CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA"
width="1" height="1" id="APIAdaptor"
codebase="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/autodl/jinstall-1_4_1-windows-i586.cab#Version=1,4,1,0">
</object>

Thanks very much in advance!!

From Hood

Andrew Thompson

I believe this piece of code is to check the browser's plug-in version
and download the later version if it is not so.

Your understanding is correct, that is its intent.
But is there any way to customise the link not to get the JVM from the
internet? Since the browser machine may not have a broadband to wait
for the whole JVM to download.

<object classid="clsid:CAFEEFAC-0014-0001-0000-ABCDEFFEDCBA"
width="1" height="1" id="APIAdaptor"
codebase="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/autodl/jinstall-1_4_1-windows-
i586.cab#Version=1,4,1,0">
</object>

Code like this is often produced by a Sun tool
called the htmlconverter. Because I was unsatisfied
with some aspects of how it worked, I developed
my own solution that might suit your purposes better.

I have developed a very simple applet that checks
for a particular Java 'major' version, e.g. 1.1, 1.3 or
1.4 and redirects to another page if that version
of Java is not installed.

If your code simply requires '1.4' to run, this should
solve the problem, you could specify 1.4 to the
version applet and redirect to a page of your own
choosing if it is not.

You can check it out here.
http://www.physci.org/test/JRE/

HTH