Customize DataList ItemType?

chuck

Is it possible to create my own DataList ItemTypes? What I'd love to
do have code like:

<ME:MyDataList id="lst" runat="server">
<ParentItemTemplate>
I'm a parent and I have my own controls.
</ParentItemTemplate>
<ChildItemTemplate>
I'm a child and I have my own controls too.
</ChildItemTemplate
</ME:MyDataList>

I have very different layouts depending on the type of data being bound
to the datalist and I'm trying to avoid showing/hiding countless items
inside the ItemTemplate based on the type.

Thanks.