Customize Visual Studio .NET Web Setup Projects

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Will Asrari, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Will Asrari

    Will Asrari Guest

    I am creating a web setup project in Visual Studio .NET 2003 and have
    completed this task successfully. As of now the client who will be
    receiving this setup package will get the MSI along with a SQL build
    script. How it works now is that the user will edit the web.config
    (manually, after installation) and then manually logon to the SQL server
    (from Query Analyzer) and run the SQL build script.

    Is there a way to create a custom setup or package an exe as a Custom
    Action that will prompt the user for the server name, login, password,
    and then run the build script?

    Let's say that I have an application (Windows Form) that prompts the
    user for server name, login, password, etc. Is there a way to have this
    program launch after the installer finishes installing the web
    application?

    I have also noticed that you can add custom dialogs to the installation
    process. There is an option to add a form with textboxes. From here I
    created a form that asks for the SQL Server information but am not able
    to do anything with the input. How can I use this information to my
    advantage?

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance,

    - will