Customizing TreeView control appearance (asp.net 2.0)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by noneya22@excite.com, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I want to use a TreeView control as a one-level, vertical navigation
    menu. I'm using this control currently with a SiteMapDataSource
    and .sitemap file. I've written code that associates an image with
    each TreeView node based upon a custom attribute I have included in
    the siteMapNode nodes of my .sitemap file. This all works as desired,
    including the security trimming which is especially desired behavior.
    The nodes of the TreeView displays, from left to right, an image and
    the title text (both from the .sitemap file).

    What I want to do differently is to place the title text UNDER the
    associated image, instead of to the right of it. The overall effect
    is to have all the TreeView nodes (images and text) either centered or
    left justified. I want to use the TreeView in this manner as it
    (assuming I can get this to work) will give me a nice-looking,
    vertical menu that doesn't take up a lot of horizontal space. In
    other words, this will be used as an icon-based "menu strip" that will
    run down the left side of my website. It will just happen to have
    text under each icon. I want to use the TreeView control since it
    ties in nicely with the asp.net 2.0 security model (i.e. security
    trimming).

    I suppose I could write a custom control that does all of this, but
    I'd like to make the TreeView control work since all this security
    functionality is already built-in. I can also use the asp.net 2.0
    Menu control, if it is easier to achieve the results I want with that
    control. Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks!
    , Feb 13, 2007