cx_freeze problem on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Python' started by John, Oct 1, 2009.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Sorry if this might be a repost. I'm having problems with my newsreader.

    My system:

    cx_freeze 4.1
    Python 2.6
    Ubuntu Jaunty

    I downloaded the cx_freeze source code from
    http://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net/ into a directory.

    I wrote a one line python program 'print( "hello world" )'

    According to the instructions, all I have to do is this:

    ../cxfreeze hello.py

    But I get this error:

    ../cxfreeze hello.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "./cxfreeze", line 5, in <module>
    main()
    File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/main.py", line 178, in main
    silent = options.silent)
    File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/freezer.py", line 85, in __init__
    self._VerifyConfiguration()
    File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/freezer.py", line 325, in
    _VerifyConfiguration
    self._GetInitScriptFileName()
    File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/freezer.py", line 246, in
    _GetInitScriptFileName
    raise ConfigError("no initscript named %s", name)
    cx_Freeze.freezer.ConfigError: no initscript named Console

    From here:
    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Assembler-Tools/cx-Freeze-8247.shtml
    the directions state:

    Installation:

    "Extract the archive into a directory. In order to build cx_Freeze you
    need to have gcc and Python development include files and libraries
    available. Run the following commands.

    python MakeFrozenBases.py
    python FreezePython.py --no-copy-deps FreezePython.py"

    I can't find either of these Python programs and searching the Internet
    for clues was fruitless.

    I thinking that I'm missing something that's painfully obvious.

    As far as I can tell, no one else has ever posted this problem so I
    don't know what corrective actions to make. I'd greatly appreciate any
    assistance.
    John, Oct 1, 2009

  2. John

    Jon Clements Guest

    On 1 Oct, 15:08, John <> wrote:
    > Sorry if this might be a repost.  I'm having problems with my newsreader.
    >
    > My system:
    >
    > cx_freeze 4.1
    > Python 2.6
    > Ubuntu Jaunty
    >
    > I downloaded the cx_freeze source code fromhttp://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net/into a directory.
    >
    > I wrote a one line python program 'print( "hello world" )'
    >
    > According to the instructions, all I have to do is this:
    >
    > ./cxfreeze hello.py
    >
    > But I get this error:
    >
    > ./cxfreeze hello.py
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "./cxfreeze", line 5, in <module>
    > main()
    > File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/main.py", line 178, in main
    > silent = options.silent)
    > File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/freezer.py", line 85, in __init__
    > self._VerifyConfiguration()
    > File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/freezer.py", line 325, in
    > _VerifyConfiguration
    > self._GetInitScriptFileName()
    > File "/root/cx_Freeze-4.1/cx_Freeze/freezer.py", line 246, in
    > _GetInitScriptFileName
    > raise ConfigError("no initscript named %s", name)
    > cx_Freeze.freezer.ConfigError: no initscript named Console
    >
    >  From here:http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Assembler-Tools/cx-Freeze-...
    > the directions state:
    >
    > Installation:
    >
    > "Extract the archive into a directory. In order to build cx_Freeze you
    > need to have gcc and Python development include files and libraries
    > available. Run the following commands.
    >
    > python MakeFrozenBases.py
    > python FreezePython.py --no-copy-deps FreezePython.py"
    >
    > I can't find either of these Python programs and searching the Internet
    > for clues was fruitless.
    >
    > I thinking that I'm missing something that's painfully obvious.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, no one else has ever posted this problem so I
    > don't know what corrective actions to make.  I'd greatly appreciate any
    > assistance.

    Firstly -- never used the library, hadn't even heard of it --
    disclaimer over :)

    Err, python 2.6 doesn't have print as a function by default. Have you
    done a from __future__ import ?

    def _GetInitScriptFileName(self, argsSource = None):
    if argsSource is None:
    argsSource = self
    name = argsSource.initScript
    if name is None:
    if argsSource.copyDependentFiles:
    name = "Console" (****)
    else:
    name = "ConsoleKeepPath"
    if sys.version_info[0] >= 3:
    name += "3"
    argsSource.initScript = self._GetFileName("initscripts", name)
    if argsSource.initScript is None:
    raise ConfigError("no initscript named %s", name)

    Should be sufficient clues(****),

    Cheers,
    Jon
    Jon Clements, Oct 1, 2009

  3. John

    John Guest

    Jon Clements wrote:

    > Firstly -- never used the library, hadn't even heard of it --
    > disclaimer over :)
    >
    > Err, python 2.6 doesn't have print as a function by default. Have you
    > done a from __future__ import ?
    >
    > def _GetInitScriptFileName(self, argsSource = None):
    > if argsSource is None:
    > argsSource = self
    > name = argsSource.initScript
    > if name is None:
    > if argsSource.copyDependentFiles:
    > name = "Console" (****)
    > else:
    > name = "ConsoleKeepPath"
    > if sys.version_info[0] >= 3:
    > name += "3"
    > argsSource.initScript = self._GetFileName("initscripts", name)
    > if argsSource.initScript is None:
    > raise ConfigError("no initscript named %s", name)
    >
    > Should be sufficient clues(****),
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jon

    You wrote 'Firstly' which implies a 'Secondly' which you failed to add.
    You lose -1 points.
    You gained +1 points for your perspicacity to minutia.
    You lose -2 points to help resolve the problem.

    Life is all about gaining points, even if no one cares.

    Cheers,

    John,
    John, Oct 2, 2009
  4. John

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 1 Okt, 16:08, John <> wrote:

    > I downloaded the cx_freeze source code fromhttp://cx-freeze.sourceforge.net/into a directory.

    [...]

    >  From here:http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Assembler-Tools/cx-Freeze-...
    > the directions state:

    What about the documentation available from the SourceForge project? I
    don't know how reliable or up-to-date the Softpedia stuff is, given
    that they're apparently aggregating content from elsewhere on the
    Internet.

    [...]

    > As far as I can tell, no one else has ever posted this problem so I
    > don't know what corrective actions to make.  I'd greatly appreciate any
    > assistance.

    The author appears to use the mailing list for cx_Freeze:

    Perhaps you can get some help in that forum.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Oct 2, 2009