Cygwin and g++

Ale

Hi!
I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need
to execute under a Win32 system.

I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path,
the executable doesn't work!)

I read that I need to compile sources using MinGW g++ version, but
launching makefile after setting the MinGW/bin path in PATH enviroment
variable, I get a lot of errors.

What's wrong?

Thank you.

Ale

Victor Bazarov

Ale said:
I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need
to execute under a Win32 system.

So far no relevance to C++ _language_... I'll hold my breath..
I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path,
the executable doesn't work!)

Again, no relevance to C++ _language_... Still holding my breath...
I read that I need to compile sources using MinGW g++ version, but
launching makefile after setting the MinGW/bin path in PATH enviroment
variable, I get a lot of errors.

Ah, a mention of a C++ compiler. That should constitute relevance,
right? Wrong! This is about using your build environment and tools,
and has nothing to do with C++ _langauge_.
What's wrong?

That's simple. You're posting to the wrong newsgroup. Try 'gnu.*'
hierarchy.

pigeon

Victor Bazarov said:
So far no relevance to C++ _language_... I'll hold my breath..

Again, no relevance to C++ _language_... Still holding my breath...

I don't know what cygwin is. Maybe I misunderstand the post. There is a
32-bit mingw c++ (g++) compiler at www.equation.com.

-pigeon-

James Kanze

I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that
I need to execute under a Win32 system.
I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it
doesn't run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is
required, and even if I put this file in the application PATH
and in windows/system32 path, the executable doesn't work!)
I read that I need to compile sources using MinGW g++ version,
but launching makefile after setting the MinGW/bin path in
PATH enviroment variable, I get a lot of errors.
What's wrong?

You're asking in the wrong place? Off hand, it looks like
you're trying to mix envirionments. It's possible, but it's
generally much easier to use just a single environment: either
Cygwin, with the make and g++ from Cygwin, or MinGW, with the
make and g++ from MinGW. (One of the reasons its simpler, of
course, is that you only have one place to ask if there are
problems: on either the CygWin mail list, or on the MinGW mail
list.)

James Kanze

I don't know what cygwin is. Maybe I misunderstand the post. There is a
32-bit mingw c++ (g++) compiler atwww.equation.com.

Very off topic, but: CygWin and MinGW/MSys are both Unix like
environments for Windows. Both provide g++, make and most of
the other tools in the Unix toolkit, and both use pretty much
the same code base. So you'd expect them to be pretty similar.
However: CygWin is large, slow and invasive; MinGW/MSys is
small, fast and unobtrusive. In addition, I found the people on
the CygWin mailing list snotty and unhelpful, where as those on
the MinGW/MSys mailing list were amongst the nicest and most
helpful I've encountered anywhere. (Just my personal
experience, of course.)

Lionel B

Hi!
I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need to
execute under a Win32 system.

I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path, the
executable doesn't work!)

FWIW, I seem to recall that Cygwin versions of GCC provide a -mnocygwin
(or somesuch) switch, which compiles non-cygwin1.dll-dependent
executables - it should be pretty much the same then as using MinGW (in
fact I think Cygwin uses the MinGW GCC port).

Cheers,

sassa

FWIW, I seem to recall that Cygwin versions of GCC provide a -mnocygwin
(or somesuch) switch, which compiles non-cygwin1.dll-dependent
executables - it should be pretty much the same then as using MinGW (in
fact I think Cygwin uses the MinGW GCC port).

Cheers,

Yes. Cygwin is not really ment to be used for a compiler so much as a
complete unix environment for windows. The compiler is just a small
component of a bigger product.

Lionel B

Please don't quote signatures!
Yes. Cygwin is not really ment to be used for a compiler so much as a
complete unix environment for windows. The compiler is just a small
component of a bigger product.

That's not what I meant to imply. Yes, Cygwin does serve to supply a
POSIX (i.e. Unix-like) environment on Windows systems and, as such, makes
available a GCC Windows port... which there's absolutely no reason not to
use. The point I was making is that Cygwin's GCC is also capable of
producing non-Cygwin-dependent binaries if that's what you want.

sassa

Please don't quote signatures!

That's not what I meant to imply. Yes, Cygwin does serve to supply a
POSIX (i.e. Unix-like) environment on Windows systems and, as such, makes
available a GCC Windows port... which there's absolutely no reason not to
use. The point I was making is that Cygwin's GCC is also capable of
producing non-Cygwin-dependent binaries if that's what you want.

(There, I have removed the signature your highness. I hope I didnt
cause you a stroke by leaving it in the last time, since it obveously
nearly killed you. Because there is no reason otherwise that one would
care about 1 random line at the bottom of a quote).

I mainly ment that if you are not specifically looking to have a full
unix environment in windows it would be kind of a waste of resources
to install cygwin, rather than just mingw alone.

Victor Bazarov

sassa said:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:44:39 -0800, Ale wrote:
Hi!
I need [..]
FWIW, [..]
Cheers,

Please don't quote signatures!
[..]

(There, I have removed the signature your highness. I hope I didnt
cause you a stroke by leaving it in the last time, since it obveously
nearly killed you. Because there is no reason otherwise that one would
care about 1 random line at the bottom of a quote).

Now, instead of extend a simple courtesy, you've just insulted your
fellow netizen. Why??? I am really itching to know.

sassa

sassa said:
44:39 -0800, Ale wrote:
Hi!
I need [..]
FWIW, [..]
Cheers,
(There, I have removed the signature your highness.  I hope I didnt
cause you a stroke by leaving it in the last time, since it obveously
nearly killed you. Because there is no reason otherwise that one would
care about 1 random line at the bottom of a quote).

Now, instead of extend a simple courtesy, you've just insulted your
fellow netizen.  Why???  I am really itching to know.

I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask- Hide quoted text -

Not that I really go out of my way to insult people all the time, but
I just get a bit irritated when I contribute to a conversation, and
someone feels the need to go completely off topic in order to loose
their mind, and insult me by nitpicking some stupid completly
irrelivant detail such as a one line signature at the bottom of a
quote, or a random word being mis-spelled, etc. Im sure many others
are just as sick of seeing that as I am.

Victor Bazarov

sassa said:
sassa said:
44:39 -0800, Ale wrote:
Hi!
I need [..]
FWIW, [..]
Cheers,
[...]

Ah... So you were "a bit irritated" and decided to go an eye for an eye
instead of giving in and simply saying "sorry, I was in a rush". Now I
know. Sounds to me like a mature thing to do. Keep it up!