    What's wrong?

    Thank you.

    Ale

    Ale, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Ale wrote:
    > I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need
    > to execute under a Win32 system.

    So far no relevance to C++ _language_... I'll hold my breath..

    > I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
    > run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
    > put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path,
    > the executable doesn't work!)

    Again, no relevance to C++ _language_... Still holding my breath...

    > I read that I need to compile sources using MinGW g++ version, but
    > launching makefile after setting the MinGW/bin path in PATH enviroment
    > variable, I get a lot of errors.

    Ah, a mention of a C++ compiler. That should constitute relevance,
    right? Wrong! This is about using your build environment and tools,
    and has nothing to do with C++ _langauge_.

    > What's wrong?

    That's simple. You're posting to the wrong newsgroup. Try 'gnu.*'
    hierarchy.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 8, 2008

  3. Ale

    pigeon Guest

    "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Ale wrote:
    > > I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need
    > > to execute under a Win32 system.

    > So far no relevance to C++ _language_... I'll hold my breath..
    >
    > > I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
    > > run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
    > > put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path,
    > > the executable doesn't work!)

    > Again, no relevance to C++ _language_... Still holding my breath...

    I don't know what cygwin is. Maybe I misunderstand the post. There is a
    32-bit mingw c++ (g++) compiler at www.equation.com.

    -pigeon-

    pigeon, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Ale

    James Kanze Guest

    On Jan 8, 7:44 pm, Ale <> wrote:

    > I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that
    > I need to execute under a Win32 system.

    > I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it
    > doesn't run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is
    > required, and even if I put this file in the application PATH
    > and in windows/system32 path, the executable doesn't work!)

    > I read that I need to compile sources using MinGW g++ version,
    > but launching makefile after setting the MinGW/bin path in
    > PATH enviroment variable, I get a lot of errors.

    > What's wrong?

    You're asking in the wrong place? Off hand, it looks like
    you're trying to mix envirionments. It's possible, but it's
    generally much easier to use just a single environment: either
    Cygwin, with the make and g++ from Cygwin, or MinGW, with the
    make and g++ from MinGW. (One of the reasons its simpler, of
    course, is that you only have one place to ask if there are
    problems: on either the CygWin mail list, or on the MinGW mail
    list.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:

    James Kanze, Jan 9, 2008
  5. Ale

    James Kanze Guest

    On Jan 9, 2:09 am, "pigeon" <> wrote:
    > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message

    > > Ale wrote:
    > > > I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need
    > > > to execute under a Win32 system.

    > > So far no relevance to C++ _language_... I'll hold my breath..

    > > > I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
    > > > run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
    > > > put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path,
    > > > the executable doesn't work!)

    > > Again, no relevance to C++ _language_... Still holding my breath...

    > I don't know what cygwin is. Maybe I misunderstand the post. There is a
    > 32-bit mingw c++ (g++) compiler atwww.equation.com.

    Very off topic, but: CygWin and MinGW/MSys are both Unix like
    environments for Windows. Both provide g++, make and most of
    the other tools in the Unix toolkit, and both use pretty much
    the same code base. So you'd expect them to be pretty similar.
    However: CygWin is large, slow and invasive; MinGW/MSys is
    small, fast and unobtrusive. In addition, I found the people on
    the CygWin mailing list snotty and unhelpful, where as those on
    the MinGW/MSys mailing list were amongst the nicest and most
    helpful I've encountered anywhere. (Just my personal
    experience, of course.)

    --
    James Kanze (GABI Software) email:

    James Kanze, Jan 9, 2008
  6. Ale

    Lionel B Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:44:39 -0800, Ale wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need to
    > execute under a Win32 system.
    >
    > I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
    > run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
    > put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path, the
    > executable doesn't work!)

    FWIW, I seem to recall that Cygwin versions of GCC provide a -mnocygwin
    (or somesuch) switch, which compiles non-cygwin1.dll-dependent
    executables - it should be pretty much the same then as using MinGW (in
    fact I think Cygwin uses the MinGW GCC port).

    Cheers,

    --
    Lionel B

    Lionel B, Jan 9, 2008
  7. Ale

    sassa Guest

    On Jan 9, 10:10 am, Lionel B <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:44:39 -0800, Ale wrote:
    > > Hi!
    > > I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need to
    > > execute under a Win32 system.

    > > I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it doesn't
    > > run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and even if I
    > > put this file in the application PATH and in windows/system32 path, the
    > > executable doesn't work!)

    > FWIW, I seem to recall that Cygwin versions of GCC provide a -mnocygwin
    > (or somesuch) switch, which compiles non-cygwin1.dll-dependent
    > executables - it should be pretty much the same then as using MinGW (in
    > fact I think Cygwin uses the MinGW GCC port).
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > --
    > Lionel B

    Yes. Cygwin is not really ment to be used for a compiler so much as a
    complete unix environment for windows. The compiler is just a small
    component of a bigger product.

    sassa, Jan 9, 2008
  8. Ale

    Lionel B Guest

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:31:50 -0800, sassa wrote:

    > On Jan 9, 10:10 am, Lionel B <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:44:39 -0800, Ale wrote:
    >> > Hi!
    >> > I need to compile with "Make" a source written for linux that I need
    >> > to execute under a Win32 system.

    >> > I tried to launch Make under cygwin, and it works fine, but it
    >> > doesn't run under Win32 without CygWin (cygwin1.dll is required, and
    >> > even if I put this file in the application PATH and in
    >> > windows/system32 path, the executable doesn't work!)

    >> FWIW, I seem to recall that Cygwin versions of GCC provide a -mnocygwin
    >> (or somesuch) switch, which compiles non-cygwin1.dll-dependent
    >> executables - it should be pretty much the same then as using MinGW (in
    >> fact I think Cygwin uses the MinGW GCC port).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lionel B

    Please don't quote signatures!

    > Yes. Cygwin is not really ment to be used for a compiler so much as a
    > complete unix environment for windows. The compiler is just a small
    > component of a bigger product.

    That's not what I meant to imply. Yes, Cygwin does serve to supply a
    POSIX (i.e. Unix-like) environment on Windows systems and, as such, makes
    available a GCC Windows port... which there's absolutely no reason not to
    use. The point I was making is that Cygwin's GCC is also capable of
    producing non-Cygwin-dependent binaries if that's what you want.

    --
    Lionel B

    Lionel B, Jan 10, 2008
  9. Ale

    sassa Guest

    On Jan 10, 5:11 am, Lionel B <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 08:31:50 -0800, sassa wrote:

    > >> FWIW, I seem to recall that Cygwin versions of GCC provide a -mnocygwin
    > >> (or somesuch) switch, which compiles non-cygwin1.dll-dependent
    > >> executables - it should be pretty much the same then as using MinGW (in
    > >> fact I think Cygwin uses the MinGW GCC port).

    > >> Cheers,

    > >> --
    > >> Lionel B

    > Please don't quote signatures!
    >
    > > Yes.  Cygwin is not really ment to be used for a compiler so much as a
    > > complete unix environment for windows.  The compiler is just a small
    > > component of a bigger product.

    > That's not what I meant to imply. Yes, Cygwin does serve to supply a
    > POSIX (i.e. Unix-like) environment on Windows systems and, as such, makes
    > available a GCC Windows port... which there's absolutely no reason not to
    > use. The point I was making is that Cygwin's GCC is also capable of
    > producing non-Cygwin-dependent binaries if that's what you want.

    (There, I have removed the signature your highness. I hope I didnt
    cause you a stroke by leaving it in the last time, since it obveously
    nearly killed you. Because there is no reason otherwise that one would
    care about 1 random line at the bottom of a quote).

    I mainly ment that if you are not specifically looking to have a full
    unix environment in windows it would be kind of a waste of resources
    to install cygwin, rather than just mingw alone.

    sassa, Jan 10, 2008
  10. sassa wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 5:11 am, Lionel B <> wrote:

    >> Please don't quote signatures!
    >> [..]
    >>

    > (There, I have removed the signature your highness. I hope I didnt
    > cause you a stroke by leaving it in the last time, since it obveously
    > nearly killed you. Because there is no reason otherwise that one would
    > care about 1 random line at the bottom of a quote).

    Now, instead of extend a simple courtesy, you've just insulted your
    fellow netizen. Why??? I am really itching to know.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 10, 2008
  11. Ale

    sassa Guest

    On Jan 10, 1:53 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > sassa wrote:

    > >> Please don't quote signatures!
    > >> [..]

    > > (There, I have removed the signature your highness.  I hope I didnt
    > > cause you a stroke by leaving it in the last time, since it obveously
    > > nearly killed you. Because there is no reason otherwise that one would
    > > care about 1 random line at the bottom of a quote).

    > Now, instead of extend a simple courtesy, you've just insulted your
    > fellow netizen.  Why???  I am really itching to know.
    >
    > > [..]

    > I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask- Hide quoted text -

    Not that I really go out of my way to insult people all the time, but
    I just get a bit irritated when I contribute to a conversation, and
    someone feels the need to go completely off topic in order to loose
    their mind, and insult me by nitpicking some stupid completly
    irrelivant detail such as a one line signature at the bottom of a
    quote, or a random word being mis-spelled, etc. Im sure many others
    are just as sick of seeing that as I am.

    sassa, Jan 10, 2008
  12. sassa wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 1:53 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    >> sassa wrote:

    >>> (There, I have removed the signature your highness. I hope I didnt
    >>> cause you a stroke by leaving it in the last time, since it
    >>> obveously nearly killed you. Because there is no reason otherwise
    >>> that one would care about 1 random line at the bottom of a quote).

    >> Now, instead of extend a simple courtesy, you've just insulted your
    >> fellow netizen. Why??? I am really itching to know.
    >>
    >>> [..]

    >> --
    >> I do not respond to top-posted replies, please don't ask- Hide
    >> quoted text -

    > Not that I really go out of my way to insult people all the time, but
    > I just get a bit irritated when I contribute to a conversation, and
    > someone feels the need to go completely off topic in order to loose
    > their mind, and insult me by nitpicking some stupid completly
    > irrelivant detail such as a one line signature at the bottom of a
    > quote, or a random word being mis-spelled, etc. Im sure many others
    > are just as sick of seeing that as I am.

    Ah... So you were "a bit irritated" and decided to go an eye for an eye
    instead of giving in and simply saying "sorry, I was in a rush". Now I
    know. Sounds to me like a mature thing to do. Keep it up!

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 10, 2008