cygwin vcom path problems

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Olaf Petzold, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. Olaf Petzold

    Olaf Petzold Guest

    Hi,

    this time I have Problems with modelsim using under cygwin's bash:

    $ cd electronic/Projects/LA/mxe

    prompt: /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/mxe
    $ vcom -work work ../source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd
    Model Technology ModelSim XE III vcom 6.0a Compiler 2004.11 Nov 10 2004
    -- Compiling entity tb_edge_trigger
    -- Compiling architecture behavior of tb_edge_trigger

    prompt: /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/mxe
    $ vcom -work work
    /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd
    Model Technology ModelSim XE III vcom 6.0a Compiler 2004.11 Nov 10 2004
    ** Error: (vcom-7) Failed to open design unit file
    "/cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd"
    in read mode.
    No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)

    Using relative paths is working, absolute path no. Why? This problem
    occoured first using xemac's vhdl-mode/compile. I'm using the default
    installation of cygwin (no configuration specials like .bashrc,
    init.el etc).

    Thanks
    Olaf
    Olaf Petzold, Oct 1, 2005

  2. Olaf Petzold

    fe Guest

    Modelsim for Windows doesn't understand cygwin naming drive /cygdrive/d/.
    You must use Windows (DOS) naming drive, d:/

    vcom -work work d:/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.v

    regards
    fe

    fe, Oct 1, 2005

  3. Olaf Petzold

    Andy Moreton Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 09:07:03 GMT, Olaf Petzold wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > this time I have Problems with modelsim using under cygwin's bash:
    >
    > $ cd electronic/Projects/LA/mxe
    >
    > prompt: /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/mxe
    > $ vcom -work work ../source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd
    > Model Technology ModelSim XE III vcom 6.0a Compiler 2004.11 Nov 10 2004
    > -- Compiling entity tb_edge_trigger
    > -- Compiling architecture behavior of tb_edge_trigger
    >
    > prompt: /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/mxe
    > $ vcom -work work
    > /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd
    > Model Technology ModelSim XE III vcom 6.0a Compiler 2004.11 Nov 10 2004
    > ** Error: (vcom-7) Failed to open design unit file
    > "/cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd"
    > in read mode.
    > No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)
    >

    > Using relative paths is working, absolute path no. Why? This problem
    > occoured first using xemac's vhdl-mode/compile. I'm using the default
    > installation of cygwin (no configuration specials like .bashrc,
    > init.el etc).

    ModelSim is built as a Windows application, and so does not understand
    Cygwin (POSIX) paths. You can use the cygpath utility to do path conversions
    for you:

    $ vcom work work $(cygpath -d /cygdrive/d/path/to/file.vhd)

    If you want to get Xemacs to understand Cygwin style paths, then cygwin-
    mount.el may help you - see www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el

    AndyM
    Andy Moreton, Oct 3, 2005