cygwin vcom path problems

Olaf Petzold

Hi,

this time I have Problems with modelsim using under cygwin's bash:

$ cd electronic/Projects/LA/mxe

prompt: /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/mxe
$ vcom -work work ../source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd
Model Technology ModelSim XE III vcom 6.0a Compiler 2004.11 Nov 10 2004
-- Compiling entity tb_edge_trigger
-- Compiling architecture behavior of tb_edge_trigger

prompt: /cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/mxe
$ vcom -work work
/cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd
Model Technology ModelSim XE III vcom 6.0a Compiler 2004.11 Nov 10 2004
** Error: (vcom-7) Failed to open design unit file
"/cygdrive/d/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.vhd"
in read mode.
No such file or directory. (errno = ENOENT)

Using relative paths is working, absolute path no. Why? This problem
occoured first using xemac's vhdl-mode/compile. I'm using the default
installation of cygwin (no configuration specials like .bashrc,
init.el etc).

Thanks
Olaf

fe

Modelsim for Windows doesn't understand cygwin naming drive /cygdrive/d/.
You must use Windows (DOS) naming drive, d:/

vcom -work work d:/electronic/Projects/LA/source/tb_vhdl/TB_edge_trigger.v

regards
fe

Andy Moreton

[...]

ModelSim is built as a Windows application, and so does not understand
Cygwin (POSIX) paths. You can use the cygpath utility to do path conversions
for you:

$ vcom work work $(cygpath -d /cygdrive/d/path/to/file.vhd)

If you want to get Xemacs to understand Cygwin style paths, then cygwin-
mount.el may help you - see www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/cygwin-mount.el

AndyM