    an MIDP2 Cell phone to experiment with cell phone apps?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Roedy Green

    Rune Berge Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > Do you need anything other than the free MIDP2 download from sun and
    > an MIDP2 Cell phone to experiment with cell phone apps?

    You need some way to download the classes to the cell phone. This is typically either a
    direct interface with the computer (USB, BlueTooth etc.) or a web server that is properly
    configured to recognize .jad and .jar files. See
    http://java.sun.com/j2me/docs/wtk2.1/user_html/testapps.html#wp21062
    A direct interface is preferable as downloading stuff to a cell phone from the web usually
    costs money...

    Disclaimer: I've only tried MIDP1.0.

    Rune
    Rune Berge, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:47:44 +0200, Rune Berge <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >You need some way to download the classes to the cell phone. This is typically either a
    >direct interface with the computer (USB, BlueTooth etc.) or a web server that is properly
    >configured to recognize .jad and .jar files. See
    >http://java.sun.com/j2me/docs/wtk2.1/user_html/testapps.html#wp21062
    >A direct interface is preferable as downloading stuff to a cell phone from the web usually
    > costs money...

    So cellphone don't get their software by downloading from http servers
    on the web? or it is just this is too expensive a way to debug since
    you would pay connect charges.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > So cellphone don't get their software by downloading from http servers
    > on the web? or it is just this is too expensive a way to debug since
    > you would pay connect charges.

    Hi,

    I started J2ME last month (during my lunch breaks or so) to developp on
    my MIDP2 phone. It has Bluetooth and infrared. I use Bluetooth to send my
    ..jad and .jar to my phone (which receives it as SMS, and opening one of the
    two files will start the installer and install both files). I triied IR too
    and it works the same except for the speed (if you have pictures or heavy
    stuff you might be concerned, but usually .jar a less than 100 Kb, so it
    doesn't matter).
    It is of course a better way than to upload them on website and use WAP or
    GPRS to download them on your phone. Cheaper, faster, especially for
    development. I have downloaded some .jar and .jad from the web from my PC
    and installed them the same way to my phone.

    JScoobyCed
    -------------
    JScoobyCed, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Roedy Green

    Rune Berge Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:47:44 +0200, Rune Berge <>
    > wrote or quoted :
    >

    >>You need some way to download the classes to the cell phone. This is typically either a
    >>direct interface with the computer (USB, BlueTooth etc.) or a web server that is properly
    >>configured to recognize .jad and .jar files. See
    >>http://java.sun.com/j2me/docs/wtk2.1/user_html/testapps.html#wp21062
    >>A direct interface is preferable as downloading stuff to a cell phone from the web usually
    >> costs money...

    > So cellphone don't get their software by downloading from http servers
    > on the web? or it is just this is too expensive a way to debug since
    > you would pay connect charges.

    Yes, if you download the app a lot of times during debug it will soon become cheaper to
    just by a USB cable. This is off course depending on what GPRS/WAP rates your cell phone
    has. Otherwise there is no problem with http download (except that the web server has to
    be configured for it, which probably excludes most public servers).

    Rune
    Rune Berge, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:51:24 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <> wrote
    or quoted :

    >It is of course a better way than to upload them on website and use WAP or
    >GPRS to download them on your phone

    Do you have any estimates on bytes per second for
    blue tooth, USB, IR, WAP ?

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cellphone.html

    I am collecting together the basics one needs to get started.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:36:27 +0200, Rune Berge <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >Yes, if you download the app a lot of times during debug it will soon become cheaper to
    >just by a USB cable. This is off course depending on what GPRS/WAP rates your cell phone
    >has. Otherwise there is no problem with http download (except that the web server has to
    >be configured for it, which probably excludes most public servers).

    on the server, is this just a matter of MIME types or do the
    cellphones use some protocol other than HTTP?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Roedy Green

    Rune Berge Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 17:36:27 +0200, Rune Berge <>
    > wrote or quoted :
    >

    >>Yes, if you download the app a lot of times during debug it will soon become cheaper to
    >>just by a USB cable. This is off course depending on what GPRS/WAP rates your cell phone
    >>has. Otherwise there is no problem with http download (except that the web server has to
    >>be configured for it, which probably excludes most public servers).

    > on the server, is this just a matter of MIME types or do the
    > cellphones use some protocol other than HTTP?

    Just MIME types. New cell phones can browse regular web pages (though they usually don't
    display very well on such a small screen).

    Rune
    Rune Berge, Jul 5, 2004
  9. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > Do you have any estimates on bytes per second for
    > blue tooth, USB, IR, WAP ?

    I don't have my Bluetooth and IR dongles here, but I can check it when I get
    back home. I'll test 10Kb, 50Kb and 100Kb files on BT and IR (I didn't
    registered a WAP account as I am developping. I'll do so when I'll need to
    deploy).

    JScoobyCed
    -------------

    PS: there is a strange thing on the newsgroup. It seems you can see my
    messages but I can't...
    JScoobyCed, Jul 6, 2004
  10. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in message
    > Do you have any estimates on bytes per second for
    > blue tooth, USB, IR, WAP ?

    On BlueTooth, I got a 28 Kbps transfert rate on a 1Mb file
    It seems my IR dongle is not working well, I couldn't transfert file.

    JScoobyCed
    -------------
    JScoobyCed, Jul 7, 2004
  11. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:34:03 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <> wrote
    or quoted :

    >On BlueTooth, I got a 28 Kbps transfert rate on a 1Mb file
    >It seems my IR dongle is not working well, I couldn't transfer file.

    so this is slower than you would get with dialup modem? My goodness!
    I read BlueTooth was supposed to be around 721KBps.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jul 14, 2004
  12. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Roedy Green" wrote:

    > so this is slower than you would get with dialup modem? My goodness!
    > I read BlueTooth was supposed to be around 721KBps.

    Yes, there is also some specification that say BT can go up to 10 Mbps
    (wow... sounds great).
    But I think what is slowing down the transfert is the writing of data on the
    phone. I have seen some post on nokia newsgroup about this (it was
    especially for memory stick, but maybe writing on the phone internal memory
    is also slow)

    --
    JScoobyCed
    JScoobyCed, Jul 14, 2004