Data-Based User Controls

Jonathan Wood

I'm new to C# and ASP.NET, and wondered if anyone could give me some
pointers on this.

I want a serious of boxes on the left side of my master page. Each box will
display a graphic image followed by any number of links. Each box needs to
correspond to a category in a database. So the number of boxes is not known
in advance.

In addition, the links displayed in each box will be the items in that
category. So the number of links is not known in advance. I'd also like to
display a little message when there are no links for that category.

Does this seem a reasonably efficient way to approach this?

Any tips or code snippets?

Thanks!

Abraham Andres Luna

i suggest downloading and stealing the code from the asp.net starter kits
http://asp.net/downloads/starterkits/default.aspx?tabid=62

| I'm new to C# and ASP.NET, and wondered if anyone could give me some
| pointers on this.
|
| I want a serious of boxes on the left side of my master page. Each box
will
| display a graphic image followed by any number of links. Each box needs to
| correspond to a category in a database. So the number of boxes is not
known
| in advance.
|
| In addition, the links displayed in each box will be the items in that
| category. So the number of links is not known in advance. I'd also like to
| display a little message when there are no links for that category.
|
| Does this seem a reasonably efficient way to approach this?
|
| Any tips or code snippets?
|
| Thanks!
|
| --
| Jonathan Wood
| SoftCircuits Programming
| http://www.softcircuits.com

Jonathan Wood

That's probably a good suggestion at a general level.

But what about my question? Are you saying one of the starter kits displays
blocks like that in the navigation menu? And, if so, which one?

Thanks.

Jonathan Wood

I'm using 2.0. Again, are you saying one of the StarterKits has this sort of
menu?

I've looked at them and downloaded the personal starter kit. But I didn't
see anything like this.

Are you guys just giving me general advice, or does one of the starter kits
relate to my question? And, if so, which one?

Thanks.