Data Binding Advice Needed - Please Help

PCC

I am writing an ASP.NET web application and I control all the tiers. I need
to return all results from the Web Service mid-tier as XML so other people
can use our business objects in the future if they so desire.

My dilemma is this:

You know how you can use complex data binding in Visual Studio to bind data
from a stored procedure into objects like data grids while using a strongly
typed data set? This is all done by dragging controls onto the form, then
generating the dataset. This gives you all the column mapping and makes
working with the data very easy in the UI layer at design time.

I want to achieve the same level of simplicity for my UI developers, when
they get XML from the mid tier that they load into a DataSet. What is the
trick here? How to I give them the power to data bind and map to the column
names for the same simple DESIGN TIME development they would get if they
bound and specified the sproc directly? Do I need to create a strongly
typed dataset for them first and let them code against that at design time?

I hope I am making some sense here. I know this is simple stuff, but I am
dazed and confused right now. Any links, articles, samples or advice would
be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Natty Gur

Hi,

If i get you right, all you need to do is to set the datasource to your
dataset (that hold the generated XML data). if datagrid create auto
columns at run time is mark, ASP.NET will do the work for you.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

PCC

The problem with this is since the sprocs are create, read, update and
delete... there are times when the data set will have more fields then I
want displayed in the UI. Any other suggestions? Thank you for your time
and assistance.