Data Binding and Formatting Problem

Tomasz J

Hello developers,

I bind my TextBox control specyfying a format stored in my application
global ApplicationContext object - it has a static string CurrencyFormat
property.

The problem - this works fine:

Text='<%# Eval("Price", ApplicationContext.CurrencyFormat) %>'

but this does not:

Text='<%# Bind("Price", ApplicationContext.CurrencyFormat) %>'
(Parser Error Message: A call to Bind was not well formatted)

Could anyone suggest a solution?
The objective: store format strings globally.

Thank you for any hints.

Thomas Jastrzebski

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Tomasz,

Regarding on the Databinding expression issue you mentioned, I've performed
some tests and did encounter the behavior you mentioned. I've checked the
document, though the formatting of "Bind" is not definitely documented, it
mentioned that Bind doesn't provide the exact same set of databound
functionality like Eval. For example, Eval support complex hierarchy class
object databound while Bind not. The NumberFomatInfo should also be
limited by the Bind expression. I'll help you forward the problem to some
other ASP.NET engineers to see whether they have any further ideas on this.
You can also submit the problem to our connect site:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210

So far, as a workaround, you may need to use Eval instead of Bind for the
display formatting. And manually set the parameter for editing/updating.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Tomasz J

Hello Steve,

Thank you for a swift response.
I cannot use Eval - I presented this code for a problem demonstration only.
Eval provides one-way binding only, while I also need to unbind my data in
order to store user changes.

Kind regards,

Thomas Jastrzebski

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for infoming me this. I've forward this issue to some other ASP.NET
engineers (also include the connect report link). I'll update you if I get
any new information.

From: "Tomasz J" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Data Binding and Formatting Problem
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:39:04 +0200

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Tomasz,

After some further consulting, I've got some information on the Bind
expression from some ASP.NET dev engineer. They told me that this is an
by-design behavior. The Bind() statement doesn't allow specifying any
format info. It just allows a a field name and an optional format string.

And one of the dev engineers has published a blog entry describe how bind
expression works:

http://weblogs.asp.net/leftslipper/archive/2007/06/29/how-asp-net-databindin
g-deals-with-eval-and-bind-statements.aspx

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:56:24 GMT

Tomasz J

Thanks.

I know Bind does not support format info. I never tried to use it that way.
The point is that it does not also support format string as expressions. It
supports constant strings - predefined formats only.

Thomas

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Tomasz,

After some further consulting, I've got some information on the Bind
expression from some ASP.NET dev engineer. They told me that this is an
by-design behavior. The Bind() statement doesn't allow specifying any
format info. It just allows a a field name and an optional format string.

And one of the dev engineers has published a blog entry describe how bind
expression works:

http://weblogs.asp.net/leftslipper/archive/2007/06/29/how-asp-net-databindin
g-deals-with-eval-and-bind-statements.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

rights.

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:56:24 GMT
Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for infoming me this. I've forward this issue to some other ASP.NET
engineers (also include the connect report link). I'll update you if I get
any new information.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

rights.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Tomasz,

Yes, only a simple constant format string is allowed in the Bind
expression. Actually, as Elion mentioned in his blog entry, Bind expression
will not allow any format expression that is generated by additional
function call or operates.

However, I think it's a good suggestion that the Bind expression be
improved to support more formatting options. You're welcome to post your
comments to our connect site:

#Visual Studio and .NET Framework - English

From: "Tomasz J" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:33:55 +0200