Data caching with multiple HTTPApplication instances

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by rbg, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. rbg

    rbg Guest

    Have a web application which uses Data Cache.
    I need to understand what happens when a new instance of the same web
    application is created for
    for serving concurrent clients.
    What happens when the data in the cache expires (either due to
    expiration or due to dependency change)
    do all instances of the Http Application replace the cached data at the
    same time.
    Thus what I am essentially asking is, in a single server scenario if
    multiple instances
    of the same web application are created in the App Domain of the
    aspnet_wp.exe
    worker process should we be concerned with storing data in the data
    cache.

    On similar lines when we use application State and use lock and unlock
    statements to do thread safe modifications to the data in Application
    state, wouldn't other instances of the same HttpApplication allow
    modification of the data at the same time. Thus I do not understand how
    Application state works if multiple instances of the same Application
    are created for serving concurrent clients.

    Is it true that aspnet_wp.exe worker process spawns multiple instances
    of the same HTTPApplciation?
    Also how and when does the aspnet_wp.exe worker process spawn a new
    instance of the
    HTTPApplication class(a new instance of the same web application)

    Also what happens in a Web garden scenario. I do not understand why
    Storing data in
    the data cache would be affected if it is a web garden where a machine
    has multiple processors.

    rbg, Dec 9, 2006