Data Enabled WebSite

Murphy

I am looking at developing a data enabled web site. I am quite proficient
with SQL server, VB & ASP. For these reasons I have decided to develop the
site in ASP.NET (learning presently) with an SQL Server backend.

I have been told this is not the way to go and the better alternative is PHP
& MySQL.

I would appreciate any feedback re the pros and cosn of each option and
whether there is truth to this or not.

Thanks

Andrew J. Kelly

If your quite proficient in that why would you want to change? Being
familiar with a tool(s) goes a long way and can help to reduce costs quite a
bit by being more accurate, confident and faster.

Murphy

Exactly, my thoughts precisely however if the general opinion was that I was
going down the wrong path then i would be forced to learn new tricks in
order to complete the task correctly.

If there general opinion is that it's mrerly a matter of choice then I'll
stay with what I know.

William Burrows [MVP]

Murphy,

Stick with your initial tools. You are building a solution that assumes IIS
and SQL Server, but these are very well accepted technology solutions.

bill burrows

Andrew Banks

Ignore the advice!

I work day in day out with PHP/MySQL and although they are open source,
reliable and easy to work with, I am now opting to go down the .NET route.

SQL Server is a more powerful database and .NET is a more powerful platform
to code on.

CT

Not sure its a good idea to ignore the advice... I'm all .NET myself, but
MySQL and PHP certainly is a good "cost free" alternative. Now that's said;
go with .NET and SQL Server!

Murphy

As I will be hosting the site with a hosting company who provide the SQL db
etc cost is not an issue to me.

Angus Lepper

If it's for serious use, go .NET/ASP etc.

If it's for a hobby site (say a VA, if you're afollower of my hobby, FS!)
then MySQl, and PHP are good. Although I still use ASP and SQL.

Angus

NT-Webspace.com

Hi

We offer a very good and reliable service.

http://www.nt-webspace.com

Only £6 / Month and as a special offer we are giving away free domain
till 31st Dec 2003.

Here are the plan details
==========================
NO SETUP FEES!
30 day Money Back Guarantee
Windows 2003 ® / IIS ® 6.0 Servers!
24 hour - 7 day a week support!
Unlimited web page updates!
Personal cgi-bin directory
200 MB Disk Space! (Special Offer now 400 MB !! )

Pop3 E-mail boxes with unlimited aliases and auto-responders!

2 GB / Month Bandwidth Transfer!

Microsoft Active Server ™
FTP access for updating web site
Microsoft Access ®/ FoxPro ® Database Support!
Microsoft MS SQL Server 7.0 (£27/mo. additional

Regards
NT-Webspace.com

Angus Lepper

www.oneandone.co.uk are rather good.

Angus
NT-Webspace.com said:
Hi

We offer a very good and reliable service.

http://www.nt-webspace.com

Only £6 / Month and as a special offer we are giving away free domain
till 31st Dec 2003.

Here are the plan details
==========================
NO SETUP FEES!
30 day Money Back Guarantee
Windows 2003 ® / IIS ® 6.0 Servers!
24 hour - 7 day a week support!
Unlimited web page updates!
Personal cgi-bin directory
200 MB Disk Space! (Special Offer now 400 MB !! )

Pop3 E-mail boxes with unlimited aliases and auto-responders!

2 GB / Month Bandwidth Transfer!

Microsoft Active Server T