    like their stuff is for 1.1, not 2.0

    I just want to create a simple data entry form connected to a database that
    is free form, not in a grid.

    dguilbault, Jul 16, 2008

  2. dguilbault

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    "dguilbault" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ok, I'm stumped. I can't find any examples of how to create a simple data
    > entry form, using standard controls, like textboxes.
    >
    > Every example of databinding I've found is using datagrids, etc.
    >
    > I though I found good examples on www.learnvisualstudio.net, but it looks
    > like their stuff is for 1.1, not 2.0
    >
    > I just want to create a simple data entry form connected to a database
    > that
    > is free form, not in a grid.

    Go to www.asp.net/learn. There are a ton of videos there and well done.

    LS

    Lloyd Sheen, Jul 16, 2008

  3. dguilbault

    dguilbault Guest

    Yeah, as I suspected, everything is in either a datagrid or a repeater.

    Is there no way to just put a textbox on a web page and bind it to a
    datasource?

    This CAN'T be this hard!

    dguilbault, Jul 16, 2008
  4. dguilbault

    sloan Guest

    I ~think~ you can bind to a single object like this:

    Keywords
    Binding
    DataBindings.Add
    BindingContext

    However, you'll have to experiment in asp.net.

    Here is kind of an example:
    http://dotnetfire.com/news.aspx?newsID=3097

    or here
    http://www.15seconds.com/issue/040614.htm

    I think you can do asp.net, I just don't remember 100%.

    sloan, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Create a datasource and text boxs, dropdowns etc. Select the datasource and
    in the property window select insert query.
    Make sure you have selected the insert, etc box on the datasource config.
    Your insert should look like: insert xxx(f1, f2, f3) values @f1, @f2, @f3

    on the insert query tab in properties you shoud see a list of all of the @'s
    if not hit refresh. select a parameter and select control from the parameter
    source. A new dd will open and you can select the control you want to bind
    to . do the same for your update query. That's all you need to do. I
    usually drop a 3 column html table and put the controls in the center cells,
    the title on the left and validators on the right. I try to avoid placing
    any html in my aspx files, but haven't found a reliable way to align things
    in any asp.net control. Layout is usually rendered as a table anyway so it
    really doesn't matter, but by avoiding html I have been able to generate
    aspx files from my case tool eaisily. Adding html makes it much more
    difficult. With themes and stylesheets you can do anything you want without
    (usually) any htnl in your aspx.

    randy.buchholz, Jul 16, 2008