Data grid control limitation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Anil Kulkarni, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Hi Folks,

    My Situation(program requirement):
    I have datalist control and having Datagrid inside each
    ItemTemplate column of datalist control.I am fetching data
    from "Product" & "StyleDetails" table where I am getting
    number of "Styles" per product. I am using "DataTable" for
    fetching product details(including style number). Now, I
    am filtering this datatable on "StyleNumber" for fetching
    style details and using that filtered Datatable as a
    source to child DataGrid control to display the other
    details associated with each style #.

    Now to fetch the style details and assign directly to the
    datagrid control I am taking help of Dynamic SQL that
    builds the desired columns dynamically along with the
    values associated with these column(i.e. the names of
    columns are specified during run time ).Now this result I
    am attaching to DataGrid control so that it creates layout
    for me.
    Now My requirement:

    1) For each value in detail , I would like to check
    whether value is present or not ?
    2) If value is present I want to display that value in
    TEXTBOX control
    3) Finally I want to save the updated value to the same
    database.

    My problems are as under :

    1) How do I bind TextBox control for each value that the
    column will fetch?
    2) How do I change the caption of this columns based upon
    the default names? ( i.e. since the names are dynamically
    assoicated with each column I am unable to use
    e.Item.DataBound("some Column Name")). Also I tried to
    catch these values useing delegate onItemDataBound of
    Datagrid control)

    Awaiting for your reply

    Thanks with regards
    Anil