data grid - data caching help

nullref

Hello, I am rather new to ASP.NET (moving over from classic ASP now) and am
looking for some assistance.

I am wondering about the ability of the data grid for being able to maintain
state of data when paginating. I am trying to figure out if I can use the
grid to enable editing of data that is paginated in the grid but that doesn't
save the updates with every pagination action. Can this be done and what is
the best strategy for implementing such a solution? Any pointers,
suggestions and tip would be much appreciated.

TIA.