Data Grid Sort Problem

thebison

Hi all,

I hope someone can help with this relatively simple problem.
I am building a timesheet application using ASP.NET C# with Visual
Studio 2003.As it is only a protoype application, my database has been
made in MSDE.

I've searched all over the web for the answer to this, but can't quite
work it
out. Basically, I am showing all Timesheet Entries in a DataGrid, by
applying a DataView to a DataSet. This works fine, and now I need to
sort the entries. I want my sort order to be done by ResourceID, Day.
The problem is that my Database has the days of the week stored as a
string (i.e. each entry will be for one of of the following
'Mon','Tues','Weds', 'Thurs', 'Fri', 'Sat', 'Sun')

The problem when sorting is that if I sort by 'Day', because it's a
string it will do it alphabetically. Obviously this is wrong, I want
it to sort it in the order of the days of the week as shown above. How
would I go about achieving this? I thought about assigning values to
each day when adding to the database (this is done by a drop-down list
so Monday could =1, Tuesday =2, Weds = 3 etc). However when I then pull
the data into the DataGrid, it will be stored as numbers, not Days.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could solve this? To
re-iterate, I have a column called 'Day' which will contains one of the
7 days of the week, and I wish to sort rows in 'Day' logical order.

Thanks in advance

Al

OHM \( One Handed Man \)

Do you also have a date associated with the day, if so use this to sort on,
else you could add an additional column to the bound DataTable which stored
an integer representing the day, hide this in the datagrid, but use it to
sort on.