Data search through multiple dropdown list

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tindatrue, Dec 23, 2008.

  1. tindatrue

    tindatrue Guest

    criteria
    I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
    DDL 1 is Publisher
    DDL 2 is Author
    DDL 3 is Books
    in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change depend
    on what
    publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on first
    and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
    data from access
    database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists.

    How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??

    Thanks in advance for prompt reply

    --
    aaaaaaaa
    tindatrue, Dec 23, 2008

  2. tindatrue

    Steve S Guest

    Try the ajax toolkit and the cascading drop down example, see link below.
    http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/CascadingDropDown/CascadingDropDown.aspx

    SteveS

    Steve S, Dec 23, 2008

  3. On Dec 23, 7:55 am, tindatrue <>
    wrote:
    > criteria
    > I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
    > DDL 1 is Publisher
    > DDL 2 is Author
    > DDL 3 is Books
    > in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change depend
    > on what
    > publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on first
    > and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
    > data from access
    > database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists.
    >
    > How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??
    >
    > Thanks in advance for prompt reply
    >
    > --
    > aaaaaaaa

    A regular way is to set AutoPostBack property to True
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.dropdownlist.aspx

    <asp:DropDownList id="ColorList"
    AutoPostBack="True"
    OnSelectedIndexChanged="Selection_Change"
    runat="server">

    void Selection_Change(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

    // Use ColorList.SelectedItem.Value to get the selected value

    DropDownList2.DataSource = ...
    DropDownList2.DataBind();

    }

    and so on
    Alexey Smirnov, Dec 23, 2008
  4. tindatrue

    tindatrue Guest

    Thank you Steve, very helpful articles are there
    regards
    --
    aaaaaaaa

    tindatrue, Dec 23, 2008
  5. tindatrue

    tindatrue Guest

    Alexey thanks for your reply, I know about autopostback = true
    but the problem is that all the list automatically posting back data
    and i dont want thatm what i want is ,when user select all field
    and press search button then the result will be shown

    thanks
    --
    aaaaaaaa

    tindatrue, Dec 23, 2008
  6. On Dec 23, 5:32 pm, tindatrue <>
    wrote:
    > Alexey thanks for your reply, I know about autopostback = true
    > but the problem is that all the list automatically posting back data
    > and i dont want thatm what i want is ,when user select all field
    > and press search button then the result will be shown
    >
    > thanks
    > --
    > aaaaaaaa
    >
    > "Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
    > > On Dec 23, 7:55 am, tindatrue <>
    > > wrote:
    > > > criteria
    > > > I want to make three dropdown list in my asp.net form
    > > > DDL 1 is Publisher
    > > > DDL 2 is Author
    > > > DDL 3 is Books
    > > > in first list user select publisher,second list automatically change depend
    > > > on what
    > > > publisher selected in first list,similarly third list change depend on first
    > > > and/or second list. after selection, user press search button, and extract
    > > > data from access
    > > > database and show result of selected search items from dropdown lists..

    > > > How to achieve this taks ? anyone can help ??

    > > > Thanks in advance for prompt reply

    > > > --
    > > > aaaaaaaa

    > > A regular way is to set AutoPostBack property to True
    > >http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.dro...

    > >    <asp:DropDownList id="ColorList"
    > >                     AutoPostBack="True"
    > >                     OnSelectedIndexChanged="Selection_Change"
    > >                     runat="server">

    > > void Selection_Change(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    > >       {

    > > // Use ColorList.SelectedItem.Value to get the selected value

    > > DropDownList2.DataSource = ...
    > > DropDownList2.DataBind();

    > >       }

    > > and so on