Event ID: 5
Date: 2007/03/09
Time: 11:50:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ZEUS
Error: File /index.asp Data size too large. Size of data being sent
in the request is over the allowed limit..
============

The problem is that when I get this error, all websites in IIS6 become
completely unresponsive, and I have to run an iisreset.

there are about 150 websites on this server, how do I isolate this
(as /index.asp isn't very descriptive).
Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Regards
Dave

McKirahan

Dave Strydom said:
Hi,

I'm getting the following error in my event log:
============
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Active Server Pages
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5
Date: 2007/03/09
Time: 11:50:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ZEUS
Error: File /index.asp Data size too large. Size of data being sent
in the request is over the allowed limit..
============

The problem is that when I get this error, all websites in IIS6 become
completely unresponsive, and I have to run an iisreset.

there are about 150 websites on this server, how do I isolate this
(as /index.asp isn't very descriptive).
Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Can you search the Web logs of the Web sites for an "index.asp"
entry at the same time as the Event Log?

Anthony Jones

Date: 2007/03/09
Time: 11:50:48 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ZEUS
Error: File /index.asp Data size too large. Size of data being sent
in the request is over the allowed limit..
============

The problem is that when I get this error, all websites in IIS6 become
completely unresponsive, and I have to run an iisreset.

there are about 150 websites on this server, how do I isolate this
(as /index.asp isn't very descriptive).
Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Regards
Dave

IIS6?

On IIS6 the default AspBufferingLimit is set to 4MB so you can set this to a
large figure if necessary. However this limit is to restrict the amount of
mem that could other wise be used up by a single mis-behaving site.

It's also worrying that this kills your server. At worst I would have
expected a momentary blip as the process recycled but what I've seen with
this sort of error is simply that request fail.

You can identify the misbehaving /index.asp by enabling logging. You can
then find requests around the time of an event log such as above for
/index.asp and the host name used which in turn IDs the website.

How many application pools are you using?