Data Sources for ASP.Net

Guest

I just read an interesting article on Data Sources in Visual Studio 2005
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/newdtastvs05.asp

It was an eye opener on the new way of filling data into datasets!
The article says it is the same idea for WebForms as for WinForms.
But when I try to apply the same idea on a new Web project I get a bit
confused. My impression is that there are several differences, making it
harder to apply in WebForms ....

For a start I didn't find the Data Sources menu/window so I created a typed
dataset myself and configured it with relevant Fill and GetData methods.

In the WinForms example the idea was to drag resources from the Data Sources
window into the form and then all necessary objects were created on the fly.
Is it possible to handle it in a similar way in WebForms or should I go back
to the old style and do all coding manually?

Marina

"old style"?

My personal opinion is that the design time tools and wizards are good for
learning and starting to code in .NET in the beginning. But they are not
good or practical for writing applications or application architectures.
There is also this code that gets generated that you don't see so it all
looks like magic. A good programmer is going to write much cleaner, much
more efficient, and much more reusable code.

Guest

I guess you are right.
Most "modern inventions" are just not robust enough for real business.

But still it looked nice to use in those cases where you just want a quick
and working application for personal use ....

sloan

You need to distinquish between

"Rapid Development" vs. "Good Development"

The new 2005 tools have put in alot (and I mean alot) of rapid
development tools.

There has also been a huge effort to make it more VB6 friendly, to make
the transition for VB6 developers over to .Net.

I would strongly suggest
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?h...ication Design&btnG=Google+Search&sa=N&tab=wf
ASP.NET 2.0 Advanced Application Design

and
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...ur+C#&hl=en&btnG=Search+Froogle&lmode=unknown
Effective C#: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your C# ...

as resources.

The first one especially gives some info about how to distinquish
between Rapid vs Serious software development.

Its all about what you want to be. If speed is the only priority, then
use those wizards.

If things like good tiered development mean something, then you should
perhaps avoid the wizards.