    window into the form and then all necessary objects were created on the fly.
    Is it possible to handle it in a similar way in WebForms or should I go back
    to the old style and do all coding manually?
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=, Jan 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=

    Marina Guest

    "old style"?

    My personal opinion is that the design time tools and wizards are good for
    learning and starting to code in .NET in the beginning. But they are not
    good or practical for writing applications or application architectures.
    There is also this code that gets generated that you don't see so it all
    looks like magic. A good programmer is going to write much cleaner, much
    more efficient, and much more reusable code.

    Marina, Jan 6, 2006

  3. I guess you are right.
    Most "modern inventions" are just not robust enough for real business.

    But still it looked nice to use in those cases where you just want a quick
    and working application for personal use ....
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=, Jan 6, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=

    Guest

    You need to distinquish between

    "Rapid Development" vs. "Good Development"

    The new 2005 tools have put in alot (and I mean alot) of rapid
    development tools.

    There has also been a huge effort to make it more VB6 friendly, to make
    the transition for VB6 developers over to .Net.

    I would strongly suggest
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?h...ication Design&btnG=Google Search&sa=N&tab=wf
    ASP.NET 2.0 Advanced Application Design

    and
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...ur C#&hl=en&btnG=Search Froogle&lmode=unknown
    Effective C#: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your C# ...

    as resources.

    The first one especially gives some info about how to distinquish
    between Rapid vs Serious software development.

    Its all about what you want to be. If speed is the only priority, then
    use those wizards.

    If things like good tiered development mean something, then you should
    perhaps avoid the wizards.

    Jakob Lithner wrote:
    > I just read an interesting article on Data Sources in Visual Studio 2005:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/newdtastvs05.asp
    >
    > It was an eye opener on the new way of filling data into datasets!
    > The article says it is the same idea for WebForms as for WinForms.
    > But when I try to apply the same idea on a new Web project I get a bit
    > confused. My impression is that there are several differences, making it
    > harder to apply in WebForms ....
    >
    > For a start I didn't find the Data Sources menu/window so I created a typed
    > dataset myself and configured it with relevant Fill and GetData methods.
    >
    > In the WinForms example the idea was to drag resources from the Data Sources
    > window into the form and then all necessary objects were created on the fly.
    > Is it possible to handle it in a similar way in WebForms or should I go back
    > to the old style and do all coding manually?
    , Jan 6, 2006
  5. Thanks, I definitely consider buying the first one!
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=, Jan 7, 2006