Data.SqlXml not found on Web Service machine

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by [ mcberio ], Jul 29, 2003.

  1. [ mcberio ]

    [ mcberio ] Guest

    Hi,

    We are trying to set-up our app on a remote network. On one machine we have
    SqlServer 2000, on the other we have our Web Service.

    The error message on the Web Service machine is:

    "File or Assembly Name Microsoft.Data.SqlXML or one of its dependancies was
    not found."

    We believe all required service packs etc are installed... except SQLXML 3.0
    won't install on the Web Service machine because SqlServer isn't installed
    here.

    Must the web service run on the SqlServer machine? We can't figure out how
    to install the Data.SqlXml dll as a standalone component.

    Tried google and MSDN with no joy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks,

    JB
    [ mcberio ], Jul 29, 2003

  2. SQLXML 3.0 is meant to be installed on a web server too... Think of it as a
    driver (though it's a lot more than that, but for purposes of
    simplification) for SQL Server.

    You need to have it on the server your web service is running on in order
    for you to be able to use this functionality (specifically, access the
    Microsoft.Data.SqlXml assembly).
    --

    Dave Beauchemin
    Microsoft MVP, MCP

    Dave Beauchemin [MVP], Jul 30, 2003

  3. [ mcberio ]

    [ mcberio ] Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

    When we tried to run the install of SQLXML on the web server running the Web
    Services (note this machine doesn't have a SqlServer installed - our
    database is on a separate server) we got a message saying:

    "...at least SQL Server client installation is required..."

    It seems like a bit of a restriction that you must install a SqlServer
    client before you can install SQLXML. That means if you have a Web Service
    which needs the Data.SqlXml assembly then not only do you need to install
    SQLXML, but you need to install some version of SqlServer too!

    Surely I am missing something here? There must we a way to install the
    assembly on a database-less server?

    Many thanks,

    JB

    [ mcberio ], Jul 30, 2003
  4. JB,

    If it's asking you for SQL Server Client, you can simply install the Client
    connectivity tools and it should work (the client connectivity tools do not
    install SQL Server, they just install Enterprise Manager and the like).

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...EA-F179-45DE-B41D-84E4FF655A3B&displaylang=en
    for the requirements page (you will also need MDAC 2.6 and the SOAP Toolkit
    2.0 to be installed before installing SQLXML).

    See the microsoft.public.sqlserver.xml group for additional information.
    --

    Dave Beauchemin
    Microsoft MVP, MCP

    Dave Beauchemin [MVP], Jul 30, 2003