Data Transmission Crash Course Required

dndfan

Hello, everyone!

I am a Python enthusiast, also trying to learn basic Linux skills in
order to rid myself of the Windows plague (off-topic rant). I was
considering doing a Battleships game that runs in text mode and has the
capacity to connect players via networking. Trouble is I have minimal
experience in networking, let alone in Python's methods for data
exchange. I am looking for a quick-n-dirty approach, upon which I can
certainly expand by further reading Python documentation. Also, if
anyone can recommend an online resource for learning more about TCP/IP
and the like (a programmer's view of it), I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Holden

Hello, everyone!

I am a Python enthusiast, also trying to learn basic Linux skills in
order to rid myself of the Windows plague (off-topic rant). I was
considering doing a Battleships game that runs in text mode and has the
capacity to connect players via networking. Trouble is I have minimal
experience in networking, let alone in Python's methods for data
exchange. I am looking for a quick-n-dirty approach, upon which I can
certainly expand by further reading Python documentation. Also, if
anyone can recommend an online resource for learning more about TCP/IP
and the like (a programmer's view of it), I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at

http://www.holdenweb.com/linuxworld/NetProg.pdf

Sample code in

http://www.holdenweb.com/linuxworld/ex.tar

I'd be interested to see whether the material is any use to someone new
to networking.

regards
Steve

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

exchange. I am looking for a quick-n-dirty approach, upon which I can
certainly expand by further reading Python documentation. Also, if
anyone can recommend an online resource for learning more about TCP/IP
and the like (a programmer's view of it), I would be very grateful.

You can sidestep the issue somewhat by using XML-RPC.
The Client and the Server is part of Pythons standard libraries.

The Prophet

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will look into both of them, as I
am eager to learn new things about Python.