DataAdd Error: Arguments are wrong type or are out of acceptable r

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jack, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Hi,
    I am trying to add a new record to a main page. This page is the processing
    page to a form. However, I am getting the following error message:

    Error Type:
    ADODB.Recordset (0x800A0BB9)
    Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
    conflict with one another.
    /gwisnewcon/test/successconfirmation_ori.asp, line 41

    Line 41 is : rs1.Open "Main", 2, 2
    Any help for the resolution is appreciated. Thanks

    CODE:

    <%@ Language = "VBScript"%>
    <!-- #include file="adovbs.inc" -->
    <%
    Response.Buffer = true
    'Declare all local variables

    dim CN
    dim RS
    dim rs1
    dim strSQL

    'set a local variable to my DSN-less connection String
    strconn = "DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver
    (*.mdb);DBQ=C:\_______GWISNEWCON\greytest.mdb"

    'Verify user information in the database
    'Create the connection and recorset objects, set the SQL String and parameters
    'and open recordset
    myDSN="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; "
    myDSN=myDSN & "DBQ=C:\_______GWISNEWCON\greytest.mdb"
    set CN=server.createobject("ADODB.Connection")
    set RS=server.createobject("ADODB.Recordset")
    set rs1 = server.createobject("adodb.recordset")
    CN.Open myDSN

    RS.ActiveConnection=CN
    rs1.ActiveConnection = CN

    strSQL = "SELECT Main.IDNumber, Main.SocialSecurityNumber, Main.Password,
    Main.FirstName, Main.LastName, Main.ColorPreference, Main.FoodPreference,
    Main.FinalUpdate FROM Main where " & _
    "SocialSecurityNumber ='" & Request.Form("txtSocialSecurity") & "'"
    RS.Open strSQL
    'Response.Write strSQL

    'Check for empty recordset which indicates user information was not found
    If RS.EOF or RS.BOF Then

    'This statement opens the table so we can add a record notice the addnew
    'The 2, 2 is how the table is opened there are many ways it can be opened
    rs1.Open "Main", 2, 2
    'Use the addnew method of the recordset object to add a record
    rs.addnew
    'Set the table column = to my input text box from my form
    rs("SocialSecurityNumber") = Request.Form("txtSocialSecurity")
    rs("FirstName") = Request.Form("txtFirstName")
    rs("LastName") = Request.Form("txtLastName")
    rs("ColorPreference") = Request.Form("txtColorPref")
    rs("Password") = Request.Form("txtPassword")
    rs("FoodPreference") = Request.Form("txtFoodPref")
    rs("FinalUpdate") = CInt(Request.Form("chkFinalUpdate"))
    rs.update
    Response.Write "<font color = ""teal"">"
    Response.Write "Process successful. Your record has been added to our
    database."
    Response.Write "</font>"

    Else
    'Dispaly error message
    Response.Write "<font color = ""teal"">"
    Response.Write "Data exists corresponding to your input social security."
    Response.Write "<br>"
    Response.Write "Please check your social security number and try again."
    Response.Write "</font>"
    'set objects to nothing to clear out memory
    CN.Close
    rs.Close
    rs1.Close

    set RS= nothing
    set rs1= nothing
    set conn = nothing
    End If

    %>

    Jack, Dec 14, 2004

  2. <normal blurbs here about ADODB.Recordset, ODBC, etc. that you've heard a
    thousand times before. :] >

    Try bracketing Password as such:

    strSQL = "SELECT Main.IDNumber, Main.SocialSecurityNumber, Main.[Password],
    Main.FirstName, Main.LastName, Main.ColorPreference, Main.FoodPreference,
    Main.FinalUpdate FROM Main where " & _
    "SocialSecurityNumber ='" & Request.Form("txtSocialSecurity") & "'"

    Ray at home

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Dec 14, 2004