Database access hangs

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bob Murdoch, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Bob Murdoch

    Bob Murdoch Guest

    I'm using IIS on W2k, using ODBC access to the database (which is on the
    same server as IIS).

    The system is designed to generate reports from users after they have walked
    thru a few pages, supplying report parameters. The actual creation of the
    report is done on another server, accomplished via a COM object that the web
    server creates. This all works wonderfully.

    However, after going thru this process, it seems the database connection
    from the web server 'hangs', meaning any subsequent page requested from the
    web server that has anything to do with the database will never complete,
    and at this point never timeout either. My only solution is to reset the
    IIS service.

    At the point that the hanging occurs, I am still able to access the database
    from other programs. I am able to access static pages on the web server. I
    have looked at a number of performance counters under the ASP, IIS Globals,
    and Web Service objects, but all show zero activity. Even the lowly Task
    Manager shows nothing going on in the web server at all.

    Is there anything I can check to see what is going on, what is being held
    up?

    tia,

    Bob M..

    Bob Murdoch, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Are you sure it isn't FileSystemObject?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2180

    Do you see event id 5 or 36 in your event log?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2355
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2226

    Otherwise see
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2147

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2004

  3. Did you mean to reply to me? This is the second time I see so far... can
    you please thread your message list, so that you reply to the original and
    not a follow-up?

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Scott Caldwell" <> wrote in message
    > What type of connection are you making? What CursorType & LockType?

    Sometimes playing with those settings can help...

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jun 2, 2004
  4. Bob Murdoch

    Bob Murdoch Guest

    Aaron,

    This is a tough one.

    > Are you sure it isn't FileSystemObject?

    Nope. Definitely not.

    > Do you see event id 5 or 36 in your event log?

    Nope. No event messages other than the IIS reset.

    > Otherwise see

    AspFaq is a great resource. It did mention a couple of last-chance updates
    to make, just in case. So I went to Windows Update on the server first,
    found a couple of security patches that hadn't been installed. I installed
    those, and performed the requisite reboot. After the reboot, things seem to
    be working correctly now. I highly doubt it was the security updates, most
    likely just time for a reboot <g>.

    Thanks for you help. I *really* hope this problem won't come back again.

    Bob M..

    Bob Murdoch, Jun 2, 2004