Database Driven Pages

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JJ, Apr 16, 2007.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    [I'm fairly new to asp.net]
    I want to create a web site with the page content being driven by my sql
    database. This would form the basis of a simple content management system.

    i.e. a particular page may be accessed by the url
    www.xyz.com/default.aspx?pageid=34

    I can achieve this when each page is identical - e.g. contains my custom
    text/html control.

    The bit I am having problems with is:
    How do I deal with adding my other custom controls to one page and not
    another.

    The one way I could come up with (which doesn't seem very efficient) is to
    have some sort of logic built into the default page for each and every
    control I write:

    i.e. If (database says this page contains xyz control)
    Then
    (programmatically add control to page in location specifiied, in this order)

    - there must be a more logical and efficient way than this. And I'm not
    entirely sure how I'd deal with the physical location of the control on the
    page.

    [I did think about going down the web parts route, (my personalization
    provider does take into account the querystring and treats it as a seperate
    page) but:
    a) I don't really want a user to customise the pages individually.
    b) I also though one approach was to use a custom text/html editor in the
    web part (when in edit mode) to allow the user 'personalization' of the
    text, but I want to keep the page content data in my own tables in the
    database and not in the webparts/personalization tables.

    If I could get the web part to store the text peronalization information in
    my tables, then I guess I could stop a standard user being able to
    personalize the site....?]

    I'd really appreciate any comments/help anyone can give,

    JJ

    JJ, Apr 16, 2007

  2. On Apr 16, 10:25 am, "JJ" <> wrote:
    > [I'm fairly new to asp.net]
    > I want to create a web site with the page content being driven by my sql
    > database. This would form the basis of a simple content management system.
    >
    > i.e. a particular page may be accessed by the urlwww.xyz.com/default.aspx?pageid=34
    >
    > I can achieve this when each page is identical - e.g. contains my custom
    > text/html control.
    >
    > The bit I am having problems with is:
    > How do I deal with adding my other custom controls to one page and not
    > another.
    >
    > The one way I could come up with (which doesn't seem very efficient) is to
    > have some sort of logic built into the default page for each and every
    > control I write:
    >
    > i.e. If (database says this page contains xyz control)
    > Then
    > (programmatically add control to page in location specifiied, in this order)
    >
    > - there must be a more logical and efficient way than this. And I'm not
    > entirely sure how I'd deal with the physical location of the control on the
    > page.
    >
    > [I did think about going down the web parts route, (my personalization
    > provider does take into account the querystring and treats it as a seperate
    > page) but:
    > a) I don't really want a user to customise the pages individually.
    > b) I also though one approach was to use a custom text/html editor in the
    > web part (when in edit mode) to allow the user 'personalization' of the
    > text, but I want to keep the page content data in my own tables in the
    > database and not in the webparts/personalization tables.
    >
    > If I could get the web part to store the text peronalization information in
    > my tables, then I guess I could stop a standard user being able to
    > personalize the site....?]
    >
    > I'd really appreciate any comments/help anyone can give,
    >
    > JJ

    Probably you can look at IBuySpy project from Microsoft (or DNN -
    DotNetNuke) where user controls are used to create a dynamic page
    content

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 16, 2007

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Hi Alexey.

    I looked at DNN to start with - but I found that its much more than I want
    to do. I don't want editors to have that much control over the site!
    I also want more flexibility over things like menu/navigation design.

    Also I have been looking for IBuySpy on the net, but all the links seem to
    redirect to DNN web site....?

    JJ, Apr 16, 2007
  4. JJ

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message

    > I also want more flexibility over things like menu/navigation design.

    In which case, you'd be well advised to stay well away from DotNetNuke...

    Mark Rae, Apr 16, 2007
  5. JJ

    JJ Guest

    That's what I'd thought in my brief look at it. I think I can recognise a
    dotnetnuke site just by its navigation - something I don't want viewers of
    my sites to notice.

    If only I can work out how have the database table specifiy which controls
    are on a page and where they are placed, I'd be happy with my own minimal
    CMS.

    I'd like to have some of the nice features of DNN - like being able to add
    'modules' (in my case my custom controls) to a page via my CMS web
    interface. But I want to be able to be more creative on the design for the
    rest of the site than many of these large cms's allow.

    It seems I am asking the impossible (at least for my level of knowledge).

    How do you more experienced developers do this? Do you use an out of the box
    CMS or just tie the site down and not allow the editor to add controls (i.e
    just have a standard 'edit' page for each page layout type on the site).

    I can't find any books on the subject (bar the basic introduction to CMS's
    for asp), so clearly I've either discovered a huge gap in the market,or I'm
    on the completely wrong track to solving my problem (the latter being more
    likely).

    JJ

    JJ, Apr 16, 2007
  6. JJ

    Mark Rae Guest

    "JJ" <> wrote in message

    > That's what I'd thought in my brief look at it. I think I can recognise a
    > dotnetnuke site just by its navigation - something I don't want viewers of
    > my sites to notice.

    Oh yes indeed - you can spot a DNN site from miles away... Like you can with
    FrontPage... :)

    > But I want to be able to be more creative on the design for the rest of
    > the site than many of these large cms's allow.

    That's the problem with software like DNN - fine if you're an end-user who
    just wants to knock up a quick CMS and doesn't (want to) know what's
    happening behind the scenes, but no use at all for developers who know how
    to do things themselves...

    > How do you more experienced developers do this? Do you use an out of the
    > box CMS or just tie the site down and not allow the editor to add controls
    > (i.e just have a standard 'edit' page for each page layout type on the
    > site).

    I use SharePoint...

    Mark Rae, Apr 16, 2007
  7. JJ

    JJ Guest

    > That's the problem with software like DNN - fine if you're an end-user who
    > just wants to knock up a quick CMS and doesn't (want to) know what's
    > happening behind the scenes, but no use at all for developers who know how
    > to do things themselves...

    Exactly my point.

    >> How do you more experienced developers do this? Do you use an out of the
    >> box CMS or just tie the site down and not allow the editor to add
    >> controls (i.e just have a standard 'edit' page for each page layout type
    >> on the site).

    > I use SharePoint...

    I'll take a look. Thanks (again).

    JJ

    JJ, Apr 16, 2007
  8. On Apr 16, 12:32 pm, "JJ" <> wrote:
    > Hi Alexey.
    >
    > I looked at DNN to start with - but I found that its much more than I want
    > to do. I don't want editors to have that much control over the site!
    > I also want more flexibility over things like menu/navigation design.
    >
    > Also I have been looking for IBuySpy on the net, but all the links seem to
    > redirect to DNN web site....?
    >
    > JJ

    IBuySpy you can find at http://www.asp.net/downloads/default11.aspx?tabid=62
    (the last "Portal Starter Kit")

    It's up to you what you will do with it. You can develop your own CMS
    based on ideas of IBuySpy (for example, DNN is a community driven
    extension of the IBuySpy), or you can adapt it to your needs.

    Also, look at this free ASP.net based CMS
    http://en.axcms.net

    Maybe, you'll find it better than IBuySpy :)

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 17, 2007
  9. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks - will take a look at the portal kit to see how its engineered.
    Is axcms the system where your tied into using their servers to store the
    cms data - I seem to remember something like that?

    JJ

    JJ, Apr 17, 2007
  10. On Apr 17, 11:16 am, "JJ" <> wrote:
    > Thanks - will take a look at the portal kit to see how its engineered.
    > Is axcms the system where your tied into using their servers to store the
    > cms data - I seem to remember something like that?
    >
    > JJ
    >

    > > IBuySpy you can find at
    > >http://www.asp.net/downloads/default11.aspx?tabid=62
    > > (the last "Portal Starter Kit")

    > > It's up to you what you will do with it. You can develop your own CMS
    > > based on ideas of IBuySpy (for example, DNN is a community driven
    > > extension of the IBuySpy), or you can adapt it to your needs.

    > > Also, look at this free ASP.net based CMS
    > >http://en.axcms.net

    > > Maybe, you'll find it better than IBuySpy :)- Hide quoted text -

    You can install it on your/shared server. I've tested it a little bit
    some time ago, but I found it not very intuitive and a bit complex. As
    I remember, it handles custom page layout based on controls...

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 17, 2007
  11. On Apr 17, 11:59 am, Alexey Smirnov <> wrote:
    > You can install it on your/shared server.

    Okay, their website says you can download v6 and earlier. The new
    version is not available for download (it means I tested v6)

    Alexey Smirnov, Apr 17, 2007
  12. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Thanks Alexey. I'll try the portal starter kit and see if that gets me
    started.

    JJ, Apr 17, 2007