Database driver vanishes intermittently ?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Zenobia, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. Zenobia

    Zenobia Guest

    Last Friday (or early Saturday) the database driver seemed to
    vanish from my web-site. On Monday, it reappeared. The host was
    told about the missing driver on Saturday but claims to have
    done nothing to repair the problem.

    Is there any explanation for this?

    The site was running ASP 3 with an ODBC driver to a Microsoft
    Access 97 database.

    On Saturday I downloaded to entire site locally and it ran
    locally on my PC - so I can't see how it could be anything other
    than a lost ODBC driver at the web-site.

    The error was:

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
    '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
    recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

    /some_page.asp, line 32

    Note - line 32 is the line where the connection is OPENed.

    Zenobia, Nov 5, 2004

  2. "Zenobia" <> wrote in message
    > Last Friday (or early Saturday) the database driver seemed to
    > vanish from my web-site. On Monday, it reappeared. The host was
    > told about the missing driver on Saturday but claims to have
    > done nothing to repair the problem.
    >
    > Is there any explanation for this?
    >
    > The site was running ASP 3 with an ODBC driver to a Microsoft
    > Access 97 database.
    >
    > On Saturday I downloaded to entire site locally and it ran
    > locally on my PC - so I can't see how it could be anything other
    > than a lost ODBC driver at the web-site.
    >
    > The error was:
    >
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
    >
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
    > '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
    > recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

    Here's the explanation ...
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Nov 5, 2004

  3. Did it run successfully when you downloaded it? And when you downloaded it,
    did you download the database? Can you open it in Access? Is it corrupt as
    the error suggests? There is one Access 97 database that exists on my
    intranet, and it gets corrupted on a fairly regular basis. I've given up on
    doing anything about other than just opening it in Access 97 and letting it
    repair it when this happens.

    I suggest converting the database to Access 2000 format, if you can, and
    then switching your connection string that you're currently using to:
    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\somepath\mydb.mdb;User
    Id=admin;Password=;" '*

    Ray at work

    * credit: www.connectionstrings.com

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Nov 5, 2004
  4. Zenobia

    Zenobia Guest

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:16:10 -0500, "Ray Costanzo [MVP]" <my
    first name at lane 34 dot commercial> wrote:

    > Did it run successfully when you downloaded it?

    Yes.

    > And when you downloaded it, did you download the database?

    Yes

    > Can you open it in Access?

    Yes

    > Is it corrupt as the error suggests?

    Not when I downloaded it and opened it.

    >There is one Access 97 database that exists on my intranet, and it gets
    > corrupted on a fairly regular basis. I've given up on doing anything
    > about other than just opening it in Access 97 and letting it
    > repair it when this happens.

    If, what you say is the problem, then it may be a Microsoft 97
    Access problem.

    I will upgrade it to Access 2002 and use the OLEBD driver.

    >I suggest converting the database to Access 2000 format, if you can, and
    >then switching your connection string that you're currently using to:
    >"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\somepath\mydb.mdb;User
    >Id=admin;Password=;" '*

    Thanks Ray.

    I'm in a bit of a bind here because the host is free. I don't
    run the site but have to contact the host through another party.
    Furthermore when I suggested we ask the host what platform our
    site is running on and what the latest SPs and MDACs installed
    were my intermediate contact said he didn't want to bother our
    host because our host was providing a free service (bless him)
    and we could risk getting the boot. We already got the boot a
    year ago after our (Political) site was hacked and defaced.

    Oh, what a nightmare. How can I be expected to fix things when I
    can't be sure what version of software is being run and I'm not
    allowed to phone up the ISP in case I upset !!!!

    Zenobia, Nov 5, 2004
  5. Zenobia

    Zenobia Guest

    I updated the database file to Access 2002 and changed the
    driver to OLEDB Jet 4. It works now and, hopefully, should
    continue to do so till I'm no longer 'web master'.

    Zenobia, Nov 5, 2004
  6. HA HA HA! I feel your frustration. :] Glad it's working now.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Nov 5, 2004
  7. Zenobia

    Jeff Dillon Guest