Database driver vanishes intermittently ?

Zenobia

Last Friday (or early Saturday) the database driver seemed to
vanish from my web-site. On Monday, it reappeared. The host was
told about the missing driver on Saturday but claims to have
done nothing to repair the problem.

Is there any explanation for this?

The site was running ASP 3 with an ODBC driver to a Microsoft
Access 97 database.

On Saturday I downloaded to entire site locally and it ran
locally on my PC - so I can't see how it could be anything other
than a lost ODBC driver at the web-site.

The error was:

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
'(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

/some_page.asp, line 32

Note - line 32 is the line where the connection is OPENed.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Zenobia said:
Last Friday (or early Saturday) the database driver seemed to
vanish from my web-site. On Monday, it reappeared. The host was
told about the missing driver on Saturday but claims to have
done nothing to repair the problem.

Is there any explanation for this?

The site was running ASP 3 with an ODBC driver to a Microsoft
Access 97 database.

On Saturday I downloaded to entire site locally and it ran
locally on my PC - so I can't see how it could be anything other
than a lost ODBC driver at the web-site.

The error was:

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
'(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

Here's the explanation ...
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009

--
Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Did it run successfully when you downloaded it? And when you downloaded it,
did you download the database? Can you open it in Access? Is it corrupt as
the error suggests? There is one Access 97 database that exists on my
intranet, and it gets corrupted on a fairly regular basis. I've given up on
doing anything about other than just opening it in Access 97 and letting it
repair it when this happens.

I suggest converting the database to Access 2000 format, if you can, and
then switching your connection string that you're currently using to:
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\somepath\mydb.mdb;User
Id=admin;Password=;" '*

Ray at work

* credit: www.connectionstrings.com

Zenobia

Did it run successfully when you downloaded it?
Yes.

And when you downloaded it, did you download the database?
Yes

Can you open it in Access?
Yes

Is it corrupt as the error suggests?

Not when I downloaded it and opened it.
There is one Access 97 database that exists on my intranet, and it gets
corrupted on a fairly regular basis. I've given up on doing anything
about other than just opening it in Access 97 and letting it
repair it when this happens.

If, what you say is the problem, then it may be a Microsoft 97
Access problem.

I will upgrade it to Access 2002 and use the OLEBD driver.
I suggest converting the database to Access 2000 format, if you can, and
then switching your connection string that you're currently using to:
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\somepath\mydb.mdb;User
Id=admin;Password=;" '*

Thanks Ray.

I'm in a bit of a bind here because the host is free. I don't
run the site but have to contact the host through another party.
Furthermore when I suggested we ask the host what platform our
site is running on and what the latest SPs and MDACs installed
were my intermediate contact said he didn't want to bother our
host because our host was providing a free service (bless him)
and we could risk getting the boot. We already got the boot a
year ago after our (Political) site was hacked and defaced.

Oh, what a nightmare. How can I be expected to fix things when I
can't be sure what version of software is being run and I'm not
allowed to phone up the ISP in case I upset !!!!

Zenobia said:
Last Friday (or early Saturday) the database driver seemed to
vanish from my web-site. On Monday, it reappeared. The host was
told about the missing driver on Saturday but claims to have
done nothing to repair the problem.

Is there any explanation for this?

The site was running ASP 3 with an ODBC driver to a Microsoft
Access 97 database.

On Saturday I downloaded to entire site locally and it ran
locally on my PC - so I can't see how it could be anything other
than a lost ODBC driver at the web-site.

The error was:

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot open database
'(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application
recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

/some_page.asp, line 32

Note - line 32 is the line where the connection is OPENed.

Zenobia

I updated the database file to Access 2002 and changed the
driver to OLEDB Jet 4. It works now and, hopefully, should
continue to do so till I'm no longer 'web master'.

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

HA HA HA! I feel your frustration. :] Glad it's working now.

Ray at work

Jeff Dillon

Get a different ISP?