    database access under C++?

    Thanks

    Phil

    Philipp Kraus, Dec 2, 2012

  2. Philipp Kraus

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On Sunday, 2 December 2012 20:52:21 UTC+2, Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > I hope this question is not off-topic.

    It is. C++ language contains no support to databases.

    > I'm searching a C++ based interface for different databases, that is
    > also cross-plattform (OSX, Linux, Windows, also 32 & 64 Bit) and
    > optimal under a GPL or equivalent licence.

    QT is quite cross-platform, it is C++ indeed, GPL, open source and
    there are drivers for several databases:

    http://doc.qt.digia.com/stable/sql-driver.html

    > I would like to use Postgres, MS SQL, perhaps mySQL as databases.

    With MS SQL you should use C# not C++. One of the design ideologies
    of MS is to be odd, different and incompatible. Also you will find
    points in MS EULAS that the stuff MS provides may NEVER be distributed
    in GPL-ed context.

    > Does anybody know a library or template based structures for using
    > database access under C++?

    There are tons of such.

    Öö Tiib, Dec 2, 2012

  3. Philipp Kraus

    gwowen Guest

    On Dec 2, 6:52 pm, Philipp Kraus <> wrote:

    > Does anybody know a library or template based structures for using
    > database access under C++?

    wxWindows/wxWidgets has an ODBC component that supports multiplatform/
    multiRDBMS, although I've only used it on Linux
    http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.8/wx_odbcoverview.html

    gwowen, Dec 3, 2012
  4. Philipp Kraus

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On Monday, 3 December 2012 13:24:54 UTC+2, Juha Nieminen wrote:
    > Öö Tiib <> wrote:
    > > QT is quite cross-platform, it is C++ indeed, GPL

    > LGPL, not GPL. If it were GPL, it would be quite unusuable in commercial
    > software.

    Oh, that part is dim for me. The docs say that it is is GPL 3 and
    LGPL 2.1 with exception about something that does not exceed 5%.
    Also that the code of examples are under modified BSD.

    OP asked specifically for GPL license so that seems to be available
    for sure with Qt.

    > > open source

    > How many (L)GPL libraries do you know that aren't?

    Plenty. It does not really bother me. People have right to do what they
    want with their code and claim whatever they like on their sites. What
    I just recently noticed ... "AutoHotkey" is claiming to be free GPL,
    "open-source" macro-creation and automation software. Only that it is
    built around some sort of closed source "AutoIt" script engine. So when
    I said that Qt is open source then I meant that it is not some sort of
    such fake shallow shell built around closed source.

    Öö Tiib, Dec 3, 2012
  5. Philipp Kraus

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On Tuesday, 4 December 2012 09:58:50 UTC+2, Juha Nieminen wrote:

    > >> How many (L)GPL libraries do you know that aren't?

    > > Plenty.

    > If an (L)GPL library is not open source, it's breaking the terms of the
    > very license itself. Surely the FSF would be interested.

    Possibly. I do not think that it is crime when someone has such
    subtle contradiction in licenses of stuff that they give for free.

    If someone lies to people about stuff that they sell then that
    is crime. However it is done every day in commercials.

    It is insulting to read the licenses of software for what I pay.
    Usually those claim that the software is not guaranteed to
    do anything useful but there is possibility that it may by
    accident empty my bank account, burn my house and kill my kids.
    However in no event I get more back than I originally paid for it.

    Öö Tiib, Dec 4, 2012