database login failed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chuck Bowling, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. I'm having a problem that i really don't understand. I'm new to ASP.NET and
    to SQL Server (MSDE). I'm trying to get a VS walkthru in the C# to work.

    I think the problem is permissions but I'm not sure. I've tried adding the
    ZEUS\ASPNET user to the server using osql with the command "EXEC
    sp_grantlogin 'ZEUS\ASPNET'" but it had no apparent effect. Below is the
    error page that was generated when I tried to build and run the site:

    Server Error in '/MyWebForm' Application.

    Login failed for user 'ZEUS\ASPNET'.

    Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user
    'ZEUS\ASPNET'.

    Source Error:

    Line 26: public void FillDataSet(MyDataSet dSet)
    Line 27: {
    Line 28: sqlDataAdapter1.Fill(dSet);
    Line 29: }
    Line 30:

    Source File: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebform\component1.cs Line: 28

    Stack Trace:

    [SqlException: Login failed for user 'ZEUS\ASPNET'.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean&
    isInTransaction)
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString
    options, Boolean& isInTransaction)
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.QuietOpen(IDbConnection connection,
    ConnectionState& originalState)
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data, Int32
    startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
    CommandBehavior behavior)
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord,
    Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior
    behavior)
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)
    MyWebForm.Component1.FillDataSet(MyDataSet dSet) in
    d:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebform\component1.cs:28
    MyWebForm.WebForm1.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    d:\inetpub\wwwroot\mywebform\webform1.aspx.cs:24
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

    Chuck Bowling, Jul 3, 2005

  2. Chuck Bowling

    Aaron Guest

    Do you have the connection string? Try using Trusted Connection and see
    how that goes. You can get an example from www.connectionstrings.com

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Yes I tried using Trusted Connection. The result was pretty much the same...

    I'll check the link - thanks...

    Chuck Bowling, Jul 3, 2005
  4. First of all, it is much easier to use sql authentication. Try it first and
    see if you can connect and the program works. Having done that, you can try
    to switch to windows authentication. On the database server you need to
    create a local user account with exactly the same user name and password as
    the one for running asp.net on the web server. For example, if asp.net on
    the web server runs under account "aspnet" with password "123456", you need
    to create a local user account with user name "aspnet" and password "123456"
    on the database server. Then you create a sql server logon for this local
    account.

    Eliyahu

    ------

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jul 4, 2005
  5. Thanks for the response Eliyahu. I intend to try your suggestion when I get
    more time.

    I decided to go with what I know for now. I put the database in an XML Typed
    Dataset. Since it's on a server where I'm the only one with access,
    hopefully security won't be a problem and it bypasses the whole login issue.

    Chuck Bowling, Jul 5, 2005