    I'm not sure where to start. Will Access do what I need or will something
    more complicated be needed? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated. I have no idea where to start!
    Mary I., Feb 27, 2004

  2. Mary I.

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:00:07 -0500, "Mary I." <>
    wrote:

    >If this is the wrong ng please direct me to the right one.
    >
    >I am just starting to think about adding a db to my Webs. I want to use a db
    >to change pages within various Webs and subwebs by scheduling these pages
    >ahead of time so the pages will already be loaded (visible) when a visitor
    >arrives. Sometimes I will need to replace one exisitng page with one or more
    >pages for the scheduled time period.

    That's not why you'd want a database serving your web site. You'd
    wantt he database so each time the visitor hits your site, current
    data is pulled from the database. If you simply want shceduled
    changes, what you really want is a scheduled copy.

    >After the time period has passed, I want the Web or subweb changed back to
    >what is was before the original change took place automatically. None of the
    >Webs or subwebs will require any ecommerce or tranactional capability.
    >
    >I'm not sure where to start. Will Access do what I need or will something
    >more complicated be needed? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly
    >appreciated. I have no idea where to start!

    Start by creating the original page, then the changed page. Wirte a
    batch file to copy firs one to the production site, then the other.
    The use the Windows scheduling service to schedule that change
    whenever you wish. Not a database, not ASP.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Mary I.

    Mary I. Guest

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for your reply but I haven't heard of the Windows scheduling service,
    and having no programming background, don't know how to write a batch file.
    Would a batch file, once I have correctly set up a schedule for say a week
    or a month in advance, allow me to "set and forget" it?

    I know in reality I would have to check everything periodically, but is the
    concept of a batch file like an airline schedule? If it is, I think setting
    up a schedule with a batch file may be what I need.

    Mary I., Mar 1, 2004
  4. Mary I.

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:15:49 -0500, "Mary I." <> wrote:

    >Thanks for your reply but I haven't heard of the Windows scheduling service,
    >and having no programming background, don't know how to write a batch file.
    >Would a batch file, once I have correctly set up a schedule for say a week
    >or a month in advance, allow me to "set and forget" it?

    Sure.

    >I know in reality I would have to check everything periodically, but is the
    >concept of a batch file like an airline schedule? If it is, I think setting
    >up a schedule with a batch file may be what I need.

    Not really. The batch file is simply a file that contains a set of
    commands to be executed. You can copy files, move files, etc. quite
    easily. The scheduler service handle the scheduling.

    See:

    http://www.cknow.com/tutorcom/batch01_intro.htm
    http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa001022a.htm

    You'll want a Windows administration group for help with this, it's
    not ASP.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Mary I.

    Mary I. Guest

    Thanks Jeff,

    I have sent an email to the winxp.security_admin ng.

    Mary I., Mar 1, 2004