Database Starting Point

Mary I.

If this is the wrong ng please direct me to the right one.

I am just starting to think about adding a db to my Webs. I want to use a db
to change pages within various Webs and subwebs by scheduling these pages
ahead of time so the pages will already be loaded (visible) when a visitor
arrives. Sometimes I will need to replace one exisitng page with one or more
pages for the scheduled time period.

After the time period has passed, I want the Web or subweb changed back to
what is was before the original change took place automatically. None of the
Webs or subwebs will require any ecommerce or tranactional capability.

I'm not sure where to start. Will Access do what I need or will something
more complicated be needed? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. I have no idea where to start!

Jeff Cochran

If this is the wrong ng please direct me to the right one.

I am just starting to think about adding a db to my Webs. I want to use a db
to change pages within various Webs and subwebs by scheduling these pages
ahead of time so the pages will already be loaded (visible) when a visitor
arrives. Sometimes I will need to replace one exisitng page with one or more
pages for the scheduled time period.

That's not why you'd want a database serving your web site. You'd
wantt he database so each time the visitor hits your site, current
data is pulled from the database. If you simply want shceduled
changes, what you really want is a scheduled copy.
After the time period has passed, I want the Web or subweb changed back to
what is was before the original change took place automatically. None of the
Webs or subwebs will require any ecommerce or tranactional capability.

I'm not sure where to start. Will Access do what I need or will something
more complicated be needed? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. I have no idea where to start!

Start by creating the original page, then the changed page. Wirte a
batch file to copy firs one to the production site, then the other.
The use the Windows scheduling service to schedule that change
whenever you wish. Not a database, not ASP.

Jeff

Mary I.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply but I haven't heard of the Windows scheduling service,
and having no programming background, don't know how to write a batch file.
Would a batch file, once I have correctly set up a schedule for say a week
or a month in advance, allow me to "set and forget" it?

I know in reality I would have to check everything periodically, but is the
concept of a batch file like an airline schedule? If it is, I think setting
up a schedule with a batch file may be what I need.

Jeff Cochran

Thanks for your reply but I haven't heard of the Windows scheduling service,
and having no programming background, don't know how to write a batch file.
Would a batch file, once I have correctly set up a schedule for say a week
or a month in advance, allow me to "set and forget" it?
Sure.

I know in reality I would have to check everything periodically, but is the
concept of a batch file like an airline schedule? If it is, I think setting
up a schedule with a batch file may be what I need.

Not really. The batch file is simply a file that contains a set of
commands to be executed. You can copy files, move files, etc. quite
easily. The scheduler service handle the scheduling.

See:

http://www.cknow.com/tutorcom/batch01_intro.htm
http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa001022a.htm

You'll want a Windows administration group for help with this, it's
not ASP.

Jeff