    Anthony Irwin

    http://www.irwinresources.com
    email: anthony at the above domain, - www.
    Anthony Irwin, Apr 13, 2007

  2. Anthony Irwin wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am interested in playing with python some more and am looking at
    > writing an app with data stored in a database. I have experience with
    > mysql but thought that their may be other better databases that can be
    > more easily distributed with the program does anyone have any
    > suggestions here?

    with SQLObject ( http://www.sqlobject.org/ )
    or SQLAlchemy ( http://www.sqlalchemy.org/ )
    you can use any of the supported (sqlite, mysql, postgresql, firebird)
    databases in an object oriented way without worrying about the details
    of the database you use.

    sqlite ( http://www.sqlite.org/ ) is a database which stores its data
    directly into a file, while all other databases require a server to
    be installed prior to using it,

    so if you want to distribute your application it might be the easiest way
    to use sqlite as your database.

    Python 2.5 and newer has sqlite already included, thus it seems
    the database of choice.

    > I only use linux myself but I can foresee some windows people wanting to
    > use what I create and if I am going to support windows then I might as
    > well support mac too. (this is to say that the database should support
    > the 3 main platforms in use)
    >
    > Also is wxpython the best cross platform gui library it seems to be the
    > best I have seen so far.

    Happy pythoning

    Herbert

    ps: if you want to create a web-application i can recommend
    TurboGears ( http://www.turbogears.org/ )
    WEINHANDL Herbert, Apr 13, 2007

  3. Anthony Irwin

    Guest

    On Apr 13, 1:02 am, Anthony Irwin <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am interested in playing with python some more and am looking at
    > writing an app with data stored in a database. I have experience with
    > mysql but thought that their may be other better databases that can be
    > more easily distributed with the program does anyone have any
    > suggestions here?

    Specially if your program is going to be multi plattform, check out
    BuzHug http://buzhug.sourceforge.net/

    It is a pure python database. Its performance may not be that high,
    but it will be very easily distributed with your program. The
    interface is pythonic, with no SQL to write.
    , Apr 13, 2007
  4. Anthony Irwin

    John Salerno Guest

    Anthony Irwin wrote:

    > Also is wxpython the best cross platform gui library it seems to be the
    > best I have seen so far.

    IMO, it's an extremely mature and well-supported library. I have no
    experience with others (except a brief stint with Tkinter) but the
    consensus I hear seems to be that wxPython is probably the most popular
    choice.
    John Salerno, Apr 13, 2007