Databases with python

Anthony Irwin

Hi All,

I am interested in playing with python some more and am looking at
writing an app with data stored in a database. I have experience with
mysql but thought that their may be other better databases that can be
more easily distributed with the program does anyone have any
suggestions here?

I only use linux myself but I can foresee some windows people wanting
to use what I create and if I am going to support windows then I might
as well support mac too. (this is to say that the database should
support the 3 main platforms in use)

Also is wxpython the best cross platform gui library it seems to be
the best I have seen so far.

--
Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin

http://www.irwinresources.com
email: anthony at the above domain, - www.

WEINHANDL Herbert

Anthony said:
Hi All,

I am interested in playing with python some more and am looking at
writing an app with data stored in a database. I have experience with
mysql but thought that their may be other better databases that can be
more easily distributed with the program does anyone have any
suggestions here?

with SQLObject ( http://www.sqlobject.org/ )
or SQLAlchemy ( http://www.sqlalchemy.org/ )
you can use any of the supported (sqlite, mysql, postgresql, firebird)
databases in an object oriented way without worrying about the details
of the database you use.

sqlite ( http://www.sqlite.org/ ) is a database which stores its data
directly into a file, while all other databases require a server to
be installed prior to using it,

so if you want to distribute your application it might be the easiest way
to use sqlite as your database.

Python 2.5 and newer has sqlite already included, thus it seems
the database of choice.
I only use linux myself but I can foresee some windows people wanting to
use what I create and if I am going to support windows then I might as
well support mac too. (this is to say that the database should support
the 3 main platforms in use)

Also is wxpython the best cross platform gui library it seems to be the
best I have seen so far.

Happy pythoning

Herbert

ps: if you want to create a web-application i can recommend
TurboGears ( http://www.turbogears.org/ )

hugonz

Hi All,

I am interested in playing with python some more and am looking at
writing an app with data stored in a database. I have experience with
mysql but thought that their may be other better databases that can be
more easily distributed with the program does anyone have any
suggestions here?

Specially if your program is going to be multi plattform, check out
BuzHug http://buzhug.sourceforge.net/

It is a pure python database. Its performance may not be that high,
but it will be very easily distributed with your program. The
interface is pythonic, with no SQL to write.

John Salerno

Anthony said:
Also is wxpython the best cross platform gui library it seems to be the
best I have seen so far.

IMO, it's an extremely mature and well-supported library. I have no
experience with others (except a brief stint with Tkinter) but the
consensus I hear seems to be that wxPython is probably the most popular
choice.