DataBind() on a content page

Guest

Hi,

I am trying to call the DataBind() function of a ContentPlaceHolder control
from a Master page.
It worked fine on my first page, using "standard" forms and grids.
I had not overidden the DataBind() function for this one.

But on my new page, I have written my own DataBind() function as I couldn't
make the standard form controls work without a lot of pain.

From the Master page, I call:
ContentPlaceHolder1.DataBind();

in my content page, I have the following:
public override void DataBind()
{
// my code goes here
}

and this is is never called...
I am sure I am missing something obvious... just don't know what.

Help or suggestions welcome.