databinding after page_load

T-Bone

Hi,
I'm working on a webpage which starts with a rather timeconsuming
database transaction. (two different .mdb's from different MSAccess
versions :-().
IN order to make things acceptable I want to use a progressbar. I use
a webcontrol for that from Farside Web Progressbar.

It works as follows:

Instead of doing the database transaction in the page_load I make my
own Sub named PerformTask which generates a DataSet. I want to bind
that DataSet to a datagrid on my webpage.
I call PerformTask from the aspx page with <% call PerformTask %> so
it runs after Page_Load. Otherwise the progressbar is not showing.

However when calling databind from the PerformTask routine which runs
after the page_load event the datagrid is not showing up. Is there a
way to bind the data after page_load an display the datagrid.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You may search this newsgroup for a way to create a splash screen effect.
Using your approach the progress bar will not show up untill all processing
is done.

P K

O yes, the progressbar will show up because the PerformTask routine is
executed after page_load.
The page_load makes the progressbar show up. It's a seperate control.
After the page_load the PerformTask routine is executed which does the
timeconsuming transaction and makes the progressbar advance. That works
fine.
The only problem is that the datagrid will not show up when databind is
executed from the PerformTask Sub.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

well, you need to provide the whole picture next time you post and not just
parts of it. The datagrid only shows up if there is data. You can test your
dataset to make sure it has data before you bind. Consider
if(ds != null && ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count > )
then bind here